Hi Lyle

>Go easy, Keith.
>
>There is something to be said for enthusiasm.

There's lots to be said for it, as the Astroturf groups, the industry
shills, the "Wise Use" charlatans and the fake persuaders Monsanto et
al are known to send to groups like this all know very well. There
are such people here, I can assure you of that.

>I'm interested in the biodiesel as biotech idea.  Surely  biodiesel is
>low to no "tech," but does it hurt us to raise the biotech banner?

I think it does. As currently practised there's nothing about biotech
that is compatible with rational and sustainable biofuels use, nor to
rational and sustainable food production.

>It occurs to me, after wasting a bunch of homemade fuel driving to
>meetings in Raleigh last year (capital of NC),

That you see it that way puts you way ahead of most people. Frankly,
those who don't see it that way are living in a fool's paradise.

>that there appears to be no such thing as a constituency for
>"sustainability."

It's a buzz-word, much maligned and very much hi-jacked, all too
often just a Pavlov bell that's supposed to jerk your left knee when
it rings, even when it sounds on the right. Nonetheless there is such
a thing, very much so, and certainly a constituency for it, and it
has a very clear meaning - able to continue indefinitely. That is,
without using up the resources it depends on, without such
"side-effects" as to minimise or negate its benefits, and so on. Try
it out for size with what currently flies under the biotech banner.
Try using these criteria:

http://journeytoforever.org/community.html
Community development

http://journeytoforever.org/community2.html
Community development 2

>Everywhere you can see hear the voices of Big Soy, Big Oil, Big
>Government, but where do you hear  "Sustainability?"
>
>Perhaps we should snatch the "biotech" cache and ride it into the
>legislative process.

To what avail? With what benefit? How could it apply? Please see:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/32259/1/

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/32312/1

Enthusiasm's no use on its own. A benighted enthusiasm might be
sincere enough but it doesn't go anywhere that's good, it has to be
enlightened. So you have to question it. The response can tell you a
lot. If it's a true enthusiasm it should be open to suggestion and
perhaps new ideas or different ways of looking at things.

You may have noticed Matthew Wisz did not respond, not to this, nor
to my questioning his most odd referring of a newcomer from Portugal
asking about biodiesel to a US "Wise Use" industry-front spin group
with zero information on biodiesel, nor to Rachel's reply on
biodiesel in NC. Instead he unsubscribed. Could be wrong, but I doubt
it's any loss.

Best

Keith