>Whoops.  This was supposed to be a reply to Keith to a response he
>left in the "oil an dIsrael" thread.  How I managed to respond to
>the wrong reply, I don't know.

:-) It wasn't you Brian, it was the computer.

I'll change the heading and put the previous message back again
instead of the wrong one.

>Brian
>
>--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Keith,
> >
> > As always, it seems that the solutions lie more in the efforts of
> > individuals rather than government programs that funnel money to
> > those who need it less while ignoring those in actual need.

Yes, too often if not quite always. Horses designed by committees
(fine beasts, camels). It often takes individuals too to hassle the
government programs so some of it at least ends up in the right
place. Trouble is that if the programs dry up the individual efforts
usually can't take up the slack. The other trouble is that even when
they work wonderfully such programs only address the symptoms, and
they're seldom met by effective measures that deal with the true
causes.

>In
> > Indy, there is a program called Second Helpings which is doing
>great
> > work.

I was sure I had some information on them but I can't find it right
now. Second Harvest, yes, which is in the links at the end of the
"Hunger In America" article I posted:

Second Harvest
http://www.secondharvest.org

Good folks. Also Bread For The World