Hello All,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 11:50 PM
Subject: [biofuel] Suzuki to manufacture new diesel engine in India
> DieselNet UPDATE
> May 2004
> http://www.dieselnet.com/

> Suzuki to manufacture new diesel engine in India ----
            <snip>
>The company's exclusive focus on gasoline
> engines allowed the competitor's Tata Motors diesel model Indica to
> become very successful.

> http://www.globalsuzuki.com/globalnews/2004/0519.html

The main demand for diesel cars in India stems from the lower cost of
diesel. Gasoline (called petrol in India) costs almost 40% more (nearly US $
3/gallon). Our masters in Delhi, in their supreme wisdom, have ordained that
diesel, largely used for bulk transportation and hence a social cost (god
alone knows why), should be cross subsidised by gasoline, mainly used for
cars and so assumed to be the rich man's fuel. So, we live with the paradox
of a two-wheeler owner (annual income ~ US $ 2000) indirectly paying a
millionaire for driving his latest e-class Merc around town.

This is still good news as it reduce lead in the air and improve air quality
(we still use TEL as anti-knock). Hopefully, in the future, when biodiesel
catches on, motoring will be sustaibnable. Still there are worries about sub
2.5 micron dust.

regards

balaji