Hello Gents,

   Am I to understand that the methanol can be recovered from the entire
Biodiesel/Glycerin mix before decanting/separating?  In doing this, do any
separation problems occur?  I don't plan to break down the glycerin into it's
elements, rather I plan to use it as a degreaser/hand cleaner.

   Thanks,
        Steven

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Kevin, Michael

>Kevin ,
>
>I can't offer you very much help on this one - I've been on the
>lookout for the same plans myself recently but have not come across
>very much specifically on condensers .
>
>I gather from what I've read that most people channel the methanol
>vapours through a coil which sits in a bath of cold water. I've also
>read references to air cooling the coil with a fan but the water
>cooling seems to be favoured as more efficient.
>The water in the bath will need to be cooled.  i guess if you had a
>large holding tank circulating water through the cooling bath, the
>hotter water returning to the large tank would release its heat to
>the surrounding environment . Apologies - this may be one of those
>things that is easier done than said.
>
>The guy with the Touchless Processor -
>http://home.swbell.net/scrof/Biod_Proc.html
>
>uses a coaxial pipe system  - a small pipe sitting inside a larger
>one - the vapours run through the small pipe and a jacket of cold
>water circulates through the larger one. he reckons this system,
>though simple, is very effective.

Dale uses vacuum as well. See recent "Vacuum Pump for Condenser" thread:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/34041/1

Also, Dale's recovering the methanol from the complete catastrophe,
not just the glycerine cocktail. There are advantages and
disadvantages to that. Advantage would be that you get more back
(which otherwise ends up in the first wash), disadvantages that you
can't separate the by-product cocktail into it's components with the
excess methanol removed, should you want to do that, and that it
might leave a solidified by-product in the bottom of the tank once
the meth's gone, especially if you use NaOH rather than KOH.

Actually there is information on condensers at Journey to Forever, it's here:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor5.html#methcondens
Simple 5-gallon processor

I responded to a question about this recently, perhaps worth a read:

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/34289/

Hope this helps.

Best

Keith

>Please let me know if you find anything useful.

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT