Luc,

You might check with your brother-in-law again because I think you have the
heat transfer coefficients of aluminum and copper reversed.

Typically, copper has about twice the heat transfer capability per inch of
thickness than aluminum.  There are quite a variety of aluminum grades and each
one has its own heat transfer capability.

Copper tubing is much easier to get in 50 ft lengths and doesn't kink as
easily.  Although, if one tries hard enough, anything kinks.

I made a heat exchanger for a microbrewery that I constructed some years ago by
slipping 50 ft of 1/2 inch copper tubing inside 49 feet of one inch black poly
tubing.  Using plastic Tees and fittings at each end, I ran the hot beer inside
the copper tubing and ran cold in a water counter flow direction in the one
inch plastic tubing.  I liked it because I could coil it up on the floor under
one of the tank stands and it ran for many years with only occasional cleaning.

Art Krenzel, P.E.
PHOENIX TECHNOLOGIES
10505 NE 285TH Street
Battle Ground, WA 98604
360-666-1883 voice
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  I ran this question for a condenser by my brother-in-law who did a
  course in refrigerants ect... and he suggested that I use aluminium
  tubing instead of copper as the aluminium will transfer the cold
  from the water quicker than copper and the condensation will happen
  faster and more complete. Same as the 5 gal idea, but substitute
  aluminium piping instead of copper. Any second thoughts on this ?
  Made sense to me at the time (but then I don't know anything about
  it so it would, ha!)

  Luc

  --- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  > Hi Kevin
  >
  > >Thanks for the info on the condenser plans to everyone who shared
  in the
  > >discussion.  I did not realize that some info in Journey's
  website had
  > >specifics in the "Simple 5 gallon Processor". I think I passed
  this info
  > >over when I was on my reactor quest and the condenser paragraph
  was
  > >meaningless to me at the time. -Thanks Keith
  >
  > Well, it's one way. There were some provisos, as mentioned in the
  > http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/34289/
  >
  > >So I have the basics and would hopefully like to still see some
  plans posted
  > >in the future.
  >
  > As far as we're concerned, we don't usually do plans. We're not
  > averse to them and wouldn't mind posting other people's plans, if
  > they're worth it, but we cobble stuff together out of bits and
  > pieces, junk usually, and everyone's bits and pieces of junk are
  > different. So the intention is to show what's possible so that
  people
  > can improvise and adapt what they have to hand to serve the same
  > purpose (and perhaps make some improvements that they might tell
  us
  > about so we could post those too). I know everyone's not into
  that,
  > some people need specifics and don't mind spending money, but
  that's
  > the way we do it, and anyway I believe a lot of those people could
  > surprise themselves and do it this way too if they'd only try.
  That's
  > a very empowering thing to discover, which is a major aspect of
  DIY
  > biofuels, we think. There's an overpowering miasma of engendered
  > helplessness and dependence in our societies these days, we're not
  > nearly as competent and generally capable as our fathers and
  > grandfathers were, and it's nonsense - we haven't changed, we're
  just
  > as capable of learning to fend for ourselves as they were. It's
  just
  > an attitude, which very much suits the powers-that-be. Attitudes
  > aren't made of concrete. </rant>
  >
  > Pardon me. :-)
  >
  > >Converting a liquid-to-a-gas, back to a liquid (Methanol),
  > >sounds easy enough.  Let's discuss parts:
  > >
  > >Coaxial coil piping system:  I haven't checked where to purchase
  coaxial
  > >pipe yet, (Donnie mentioned a beer homebrewing)  but it appears
  that this
  > >can cool the gas efficiently using a cheap re-circulation water
  pump from
  > >let's say, a sealed bucket or as someone said a cooler of
  icewater?  Of
  > >course it takes energy to make ice in the first place, but what
  else could
  > >cool the lines?
  >
  > Tap water. Have another look at that condensing section at the
  > "Simple 5 gallon Processor" page. In theory the cooling water only
  > has to be less than 64.7 deg C, 148.5 deg F, the boiling point of
  > methanol. The bigger the gap the better, but you don't need ice.
  If
  > the weather's real hot and it could use cooler water, or to
  prevent
  > having to change the water when it got hot (it gets hot), you
  could
  > rig a sort of inline evaporative drip cooling set-up the water
  would
  > go through en route from the condenser back to the reservoir
  (bucket
  > or whatever). I think that's quite easy and cheap, but you'd need
  > someone else to tell you exactly how.
  >
  > >Heater:  Most likely I'll use a 1500w-1650w electric water heater
  threaded
  > >into the bottom of a 15 gallon metal drum.  Girl Mark passed this
  heater
  > >idea to me when I was inquiring about a pre-heat WVO tank.  The
  pre-heat
  > >tank can now serve a duel purpose.
  > >
  > >I'm not sure how I'm going to seal the lid.  Being the drum is a
  standard
  > >size, I may be able to purchase a metal lid and a ring collar to
  seal it.

  > That would be best. Make sure there's a seal in the lid (silicon
  or whatever).

  > >For the methanol gas vapors, I imagine I would install a valve in
  the lid to
  > >the coaxial pipe, but could use some ideas?  I'm not sure if I
  can mount a
  > >funnel-style lid as sealing this to a 15 gallon metal drum could
  be
  > >difficult  Idea's???
  >
  > Get a lid first and see what it offers. If there are caps you can
  > drill a hole in a cap and connect the condenser pipe to it. A
  direct
  > connection might be a little awkward if it's a screw-on cap, but
  you
  > could use a junction.
  >
  > regards
  >
  > Keith