Keith,

Thanks for the input.  I do have some virgin oil that I could use in
a single stage reaction, to get a better idea of what the end
product is supposed to look like.  Despite people saying that in
different ways, I hadn't heard it til now.  All I was hearing was
that you have to start with the single stage process then graduate
to the foolproof process.  This just seemed like trying to learn
something one way then do it in a completely different way, which
doesn't make sense.  Sometimes having a thick skull doesn't come in
too handy, I guess.

Brian

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Brian
>
> >Kevin,
> >
> >Thanks for the help.  I suspect that overly vigorous agitation is
> >big part of the problem.  The top layer of what I have does seem
> >be very slowly clearing, as you predict.
>
> Try heating it. Not direct heat, use hot water, don't agitate the
bd
> again, try to keep it as-is in its layers.
>
> >Rereading the process on the JTF site, I also notice that they say
> >that if you get less than 100 cc glycerol, you probably have an
> >incomplete reaction.  I don't think that I had any more than 60 or
> >70 cc, which tells me that this was probably another part of the
> >problem.  I'm planning to do another test batch this coming
weekend,
> >and will just process longer no matter what I think of the color
or
> >clarity of what I have after 15 minutes.  Since I am brand new to
> >this, I have obviously never seen what the mix is supposed to look
> >like after processing.  I am trying to make an educated guess
based
> >on a description, and obviously guessed wrong.
> >
> >Thanks again for the reply.  The only way that I'll figure this
out
> >is with the help of those who have gone before.
> >
> >Brian

> >top
> > >
> > > Agitated too vigorously too early in the wash stage is probably
> >the problem
> > > as this caused emusions.  No need to waste your test
batch...let
> >it stand
> > > for a month in a dark place and you should see it (almost
> >completely) come
> > > back.
> > >
> > > I did the same thing to my earlier test batches by jetting the
> >water into my
> > > 5 gal batches with the garden hose and creating foamy
stuff..Opps!

> > > .
> > > -Kevin
> >

> >>Well, my first test batch is done, and the end result is less
than
> >>spectacular.  Wondering if anyone has any ideas.
> >>
> >>I completed the second stage as instructed.  1/2 of my methoxide
in,
> >>mix for 5 minutes, heat to 130 F, add the remaining methoxide and
> >>mix hot until nice golden amber.
>
> Not amber, "straw yellow" - some people have questioned that but I
> don't agree with them, I've found that to be a good indicator. The
> less "reddish" it is the better.
>
> >>This only took about 10 minutes,
> >>and I continued mixing for a total of 15.  Since the instructions
> >>say it will take one and a half to two hours, I think this may be
> >>one place that things went wrong, although the appearance when I
> >>finished was just as described.
>
> You mixed the first stage for two hours, which might have been too
> long (especially with the extra heat it got), and the second stage
> for 15 minutes, which was almost certainly too short.
>
> This is what I meant in the other message I've just sent, about
> needing to get a "feel" for it, and why this isn't a good place to
> start. If you were more experienced you might have had a better
idea
> of how to translate the mixing instructions for a full-sized batch
> the small scale you're using. Maybe it translates direct, maybe
not -
> I don't know how fast your drill stirs it, nor what rate of
agitation
> it gets with that paint stirrer, but, comparatively, neither do
you,
> and that makes it difficult for you. Starting instead with
> single-stage base and virgin oil, you begin with fewer variables
and
> they're less critical, and it's a logical progression from there.
Now
> you're facing too many variables and you don't have the experience
> assess them, and you're more likely to make mistakes anyway
because
> you lack a basis of comparison.
>
> >>I let the mixture settle in an old 2 liter soda bottle for about
6
> >>hours, and it looked exactly like the pictures on the JTF web
site.

> Did you go straight to the wash after six hours? That might not
have
> been long enough. 12 hours or more is better.
>
> >>Clear, golden amber layer on top with dark glycerol on the
bottom.
> >>I called the test batch a great success and went on to wash my
new
> >>biodiesel, which is where the problem came up.  I put about 1/3
> >>liter water in a clean 2 liter bottle, decanted the biodiesel on
top
> >>of it, then shook.  I probably shook a little vigorously, but
with
> >>the assumption that the foolproof method would leave me with
product
> >>which could withstand this type of washing.
>
> I'd have stirred it, not very hard, until it was mixed
(homogenous),