I am no chemist, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your suggestion would involve splitting the Carbon-Carbon bonds in the
glycerol part of the molecule. This is certainly possible, as it's what
happens with catalytic cracking. However if you're doing this to the
glycerol part of the molecule you're probably also doing it to the
Carbon-Carbon bonds in the fatty acid chains as well. And as the
Carbon-Oxygen bonds are generally easier to break, I'm not sure that
you could devise a process that didn't just give you a large number of
smaller molecules, effectively by smashing the original oil up and
hydrogenating it. You would probably just end up with a mixture of
volatile short-chain compounds, which you would then need to separate
to make use of except as a fuel in itself (more like petrol (gas) than
diesel).

And in any case I doubt having a catalytic cracker in your kitchen,
plus a suitable supply of hydrogen, is a very practical proposition!

The beauty of the transesterification process is that it's fairly
simple and ends up with exactly what you want - a fuel that you can
just pour into an existing vehicle without too much to worry about.

Donald

--- tomasjkn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Hello dear fellow
biofuelers,

=====
--
43 - more than the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com