Hello Beng, welcome

>i am a student and is involved in a reserach involving biodiesel
>production... can anyone help me find the explanation/logic behind
>on the basis why 3.5 grams of NaOH is set as a fixed amount for
>every liter of oil in the transesterification process... shouldn't
>the amount be dependent on the type of oil to be transesterified?

It is a bit of a ballpark figure. See:

The basic lye quantity -- 3.5 grams?
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#lye3.5

"This is the amount of lye (NaOH, sodium hydroxide) required as
catalyst to transesterify 1 liter of virgin, uncooked oil. For used
oils, titration determines the amount of lye needed to neutralize the
Free Fatty Acid (FFA) content, and this quantity is added to the
basic figure of 3.5 grams per liter.

"In fact 3.5 grams is an empirical measure -- an average. Different
oils have slightly different requirements, and even the same type of
oil varies according to how and where it's grown. Other estimates are
3.1 gm, 3.4 gm, and some people have set it as high as 5 gm.

"Here is what we've found. For most virgin oils and low-FFA used oils
(with titration levels less than 2-3 ml), 3.5 grams works just fine.
For high-FFA used oils, use more lye -- up to about 4.5 gm instead of
3.5 gm. Do small test batches to see what works best.

"Different oils also require different amounts of methanol -- see How
much methanol? For oils and fats requiring more methanol -- coconut,
palm kernel, as well as tallow, lard, butter -- again, use more lye,
up to 4.5 gm, even with new oils, and especially when it's used. Once
again, do small test batches first."

See also:

How much lye to use?
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#lyeamount

... and the rest of the "Make your own biodiesel" section while you're at it.

Another point is that cooking oils are generally standardised
products, refined to meet certain requirements, and one of those
requirements is a set maximum of Free Fatty Acid content. So in that
regard they're all the same, no matter what kind of oil it is.

The lye has two roles in transesterification, as a catalyst, and to
neutralise the Free Fatty Acids. In theory, once you have enough to
neutralise the FFAs, only very little more would catalyse the
reaction. But, it might take a long time, and also the reaction might
reach equilibrium before conversion had gone far enough, making a
poor-quality product.

You might be interested in this, and the two studies associated with it:

The modelling of the biodiesel reaction
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#macromodel

Kinetics of Transesterification of Soybean Oil
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#nour

Kinetics of Palm Oil Transesterification in a Batch Reactor
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html#kinetics

Best wishes

Keith