----- Original Message -----
From: Appal Energy
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 20:01
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Re: THE HOT MOVIE

Greg,

It would help a bit if you took a deep breath on this one before continuing.

Bush set "idle" for seven full minutes after being informed that his country
was under attack. No. He wasn't told that it was a catastrophic accident
twice over. He was told "... America's under attack."

So you believe that he should have just sat their and continued to read a
book about a goat while his country is under attack? You've already said
that is what you would do.

I'm afraid that the vast majority of the rest of the world sees that as
gross negligence.

Sure, under the circumstances his idleness changed virtually nothing. But he
theoretically didn't know what the totality of circumstances were at that
moment.

Rather than moving immediately into a defense posture he muddled and mumbled
on about goats for seven minutes.

I wonder how many in our military would be able to avoid a summary courts
martial were they to dally flossing their teeth at the latrine sink for
seven minutes after their unit came under attack?

You seem to disregard that the president is the "supreme military commander"
of US armed forces. His failure to behave accordingly is cause enough to
remove him from such a position, or at minimum to guarantee that he doesn't
re-obtain such responsibility.

And then, of course, there is the manipulation, distortion and fabrication
that he effected to take a nation wrongly to war...

Todd Swearingen

Post Script: Don't suppose you'd care to provide the flight number for

I know a bit about the military, having been in it.  And frankly if the CO
thought that you should have your teeth flossed, before you went into combat,
you had better floss your teeth.  I was busted once for having a " 5 o'clock "
shadow, because I was given orders to do something, and wasn't given enough
time to shave, before the next orders came down the pipes.   History is filled
with commanders that thought that you had to go into combat with spit shined
boots and lord help you if they weren't shined.   History is also filled with
commanders ( like Gen. Eisenhower ) that spent hours trying to figure out what
happened and what to do about it, ( like the German counter attack during the
winter of '44 ), when they were hit with a surprise, but, once they figures out
what was going on, they were hell on wheels ( Gen. Montgomery was one such
commander, didn't react to surprises well nor to flaws / mistakes in his plans,
but, he had a great reputation, when things went well and / or according to
plans ), so the analogy doesn't hold water with me.

At least like unlike some Presidents ( I could name ), Bush only spent a few
minutes, before coming to grips with the issue.  His being told it is an attack
( after the second plane hit ) came after he thought the first plane was an
accident.  Remember, after the first hit, he asked if there was any more
information, and was told not at this time, so he had every reason to believe
that the first one was an accident.   Once the second aircraft hit, even I was
in shock I knew it for what it was, but, it took time for it to resister.  I
saw the look on his face, and it was the same on mine, when I found out that
that death had come to someone close.  It was one of shock.  Of all the
scenarios, of attacks to the US, only one person that I know of that even came
close to predicting the possibility that it might happen in that particular
fashion, deliberately using a nearly fully fueled commercial airliner is the
author Tom Clancy, in one of his books.

The fact that the attack happened the way it did caught everyone by surprise,
no one expected an attack like this, and the fact that it took only 7 min for
Bush to work through the shock and deal with something that neither, the
President nor any of the other people that the President rely on, ever
envisioned - let alone run through a war game scenario and be prepared for,
should make people glad that 7 min is all it took.  I would bet that had this
happened during the cold war, nukes would have been flying before the first
tower fell.   Personally while I don't agree with some of the things that he
has done, I think that taking a little extra time, to deal with his own
emotions, to something so unexpected, was a good thing.   I won't begrudge
anyone a few minutes to deal with what happened.

I prepare for the things I believe will happen, where I can affect the outcome,
that is all anyone can do.  In this situation, once the planes left the ground,
the only people that could have affected the outcome were the passengers, crew,
and the terrorist themselves.   Absolutely nothing prepared the people that
were not "in the know",

Each of us deals with shock in our own fashion, and the fact that it took only
7 minutes for Bush to work through the shock and collect his thoughts to deal
with it is commendable, granted it would have been nice if it was faster, but,
thank the Lord it didn't take longer, like I know happened with other people.

I was in a situation last fall, were a decision made to late would have been
catastrophic and affected thousands of people, but, I was prepared mentally for
the possibility, so I was able to deal with it, without hesitation in a way
that only a few dozen people know what happened, the people that were with me,
and the folks at the hospital were I ended up for a few hours.  I have also
been in situations where I was caught totally by surprise, and it took a few
minutes collect my thoughts and get things moving, lucky for me those were
false alarms.

Greg H.

P.S.  If you were asking about the crash in which my friend died, because the
pilot had a heart attack, in your P.S., it was a flying orientation flight from
the Air Force Academy, I have no knowledge if it had a flight number or not.