I'm confused.  Were you trying to prove that Bush did nothing while
the country was under attack?  That seems to be the point of the
stuff you posted.

Also, being a former pilot, Bush would have known that there is a co-
pilot and enough safeguards in a commercial airliner that a pilot
having a heart attack wouldn't result in a plane crashing into a
building.  I know nothing about planes, and I know that.

Again, do you have any arguments that will hold water which would
show that Bush is anything but an incompetent idiot?

Brian

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Greg  Harbican" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> [...]
and tells him about the calamity. Rove says the cause of the crash
was unclear. Bush replies, "What a horrible accident!" Bush also
suggests the pilot may have had a heart attack. [Daily Mail, 9/8/02]
Dan Bartlett, White House Communications Director, also says he is
there when Bush is told: "[Bush] being a former pilot, had kind of
the same reaction, going, was it bad weather? And I said no,
apparently not." [ABC News, 9/11/02] One account explicitly says
that Rove tells Bush the WTC has been hit by a large commercial
airliner.
> Just after Bush arrives at Booker Elementary School and is briefly
told of the WTC crash, he is whisked into a holding room and updated
on the situation via telephone by National Security Advisor Rice.
[Christian Science Monitor, 9/17/01
<timeline/2001/csmonitor091701.html>, Time, 9/12/01
<http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,174655-1,00.html>]
Rice later claims, "He said, what a terrible, it sounds like a
terrible accident. Keep me informed." [ABC News, 9/11/02
<timeline/2002/abcnews091102.html>] School principal Gwen Tose-
Rigell is then summoned to a room to talk with the President: "He
said a commercial plane has hit the World Trade Center, and we're
going to go ahead and go on, we're going on to do the reading thing
anyway."

> So he is told an aircraft has hit the WTC, and Bush like others
thinks it's an accident.

>             9:02:54 a.m.
>

>             Flight 175 hits the south tower, 2 World Trade Center.
[CNN 9/17/01; NORAD 9/18/01; Washington Post 9/12/01; New York Times
9/12/01; New York Times 9/12/01 (B); Guardian 10/17/01; CNN 9/12/01;
AP 8/19/02; Newsday 9/10/02; USA Today 9/3/02; USA Today 8/13/02;
MSNBC 9/22/01; Washington Post 1/27/02; New York Times 9/11/02; USA
Today 12/20/01]

>                   9:03-9:06 a.m.
>

>                   Bush enters Sandra Kay Daniels' second-grade
class for a photo-op to promote Bush's education policies. [Daily
Mail, 9/8/02] Numerous reporters who travel with the president, as
well as members of the local media, watch from the back of the room.
[AP, 8/19/02 (D)] Altogether there about 150 people in the room, 16
of them the children in the class. He is introduced to the children
and poses for a number of staged pictures. The teacher then leads
the students through some reading exercises (video footage shows
this lasts about three minutes). [Salon, 9/12/01 (B)] Bush later
claims that while he is doing this lesson, he is thinking what he
will say about the WTC crash. "I was concentrating on the program at
this point, thinking about what I was going to say. Obviously, I
felt it was an accident. I was concerned about it, but there were no
alarm bells." [Washington Times, 10/7/02] The children are just
getting their books from under their seats to read a story together
when Chief of Staff Andrew Card comes in to tell Bush of the second
WTC crash (see (9:06 a.m.)). [Daily Mail, 9/8/02] [9:02, Washington
Times, 10/8/02, 9:03, Telegraph, 12/16/01, 9:04, Daily Mail, 9/8/02,
according to photographer Eric Draper, who is in the room] Note that
Card comes in at the conclusion of the first half of the planned
lesson, and "[seizes] a pause in the reading drill to walk up to Mr.
Bush's seat." [Washington Times, 10/7/02, Washington Times, 10/8/02]

>                               (9:06 a.m.)
>

>                               Bush is in a Booker Elementary
School second-grader classroom. His chief of staff, Andrew Card,
enters the room and whispers into his ear, "A second plane hit the
other tower, and America's under attack." [New York Times, 9/16/01
(B)] [9:05, New York Times, 9/16/01 (B), 9:05, Telegraph, 12/16/01,
9:05, Albuquerque Tribune, 9/10/02, 9:07, Washington Times, 10/8/02,
ABC News reporter Ann Compton, who is in the room, says she is
struck "So much so that I [write] it down in my reporter's notebook,
by my watch, 9:07 a.m.," ABC News, 9/11/02] Intelligence expert
James Bamford describes Bush's reaction: "Immediately [after Card
speaks to Bush] an expression of befuddlement passe[s] across the
President's face. Then, having just been told that the country was
under attack, the Commander in Chief appear[s] uninterested in
further details. He never ask[s] if there had been any additional
threats, where the attacks were coming from, how to best protect the
country from further attacks.. Instead, in the middle of a modern-
day Pearl Harbor, he simply turn[s] back to the matter at hand: the
day's photo op." [Body of Secrets, James Bamford, 4/02 edition, p.
633] Bush continues listening to the goat story. Then, in an event
noticeable in its absence, as one newspaper put it, "For some
reason, Secret Service agents [do] not bustle him away." [Globe and
Mail, 9/12/01] Bush later says of the experience, "I am very aware
of the cameras. I'm trying to absorb that knowledge. I have nobody
to talk to. I'm sitting in the midst of a classroom with little
kids, listening to a children's story and I realize I'm the
Commander in Chief and the country has just come under attack."
[Telegraph, 12/16/01] Bush continues to listen to the goat story for
about ten more minutes (see (9:06-9:16 a.m.)). The reason given is
that, "Without all the facts at hand, George Bush ha[s] no intention
of upsetting the schoolchildren who had come to read for him."
[MSNBC, 10/29/02]

>                   So even after the second plane has hit the other
tower of the WTC, but, before Bush is told about it, Bush, is still
thinking about the first one, and wondering about what to say to the
American people.

>                   9:06 a.m.
>                         Bush is in a Booker Elementary School
second-grader classroom. His chief of staff, Andrew Card, enters the
room and whispers into his ear, "A second plane hit the other tower,
and America's under attack." [New York Times, 9/16/01 (B)] [9:05,
New York Times, 9/16/01 (B), 9:05, Telegraph, 12/16/01, 9:05,
Albuquerque Tribune, 9/10/02, 9:07, Washington Times, 10/8/02, ABC
News reporter Ann Compton, who is in the room, says she is
struck "So much so that I [write] it down in my reporter's notebook,
by my watch, 9:07 a.m.," ABC News, 9/11/02] Intelligence expert
James Bamford describes Bush's reaction: "Immediately [after Card
speaks to Bush] an expression of befuddlement passe[s] across the
President's face. Then, having just been told that the country was
under attack, the Commander in Chief appear[s] uninterested in
further details. He never ask[s] if there had been any additional
threats, where the attacks were coming from, how to best protect the
country from further attacks.. Instead, in the middle of a modern-
day Pearl Harbor, he simply turn[s] back to the matter at hand: the
day's photo op." [Body of Secrets, James Bamford, 4/02 edition, p.
633] Bush continues listening to the goat story. Then, in an event
noticeable in its absence, as one newspaper put it, "For some
reason, Secret Service agents [do] not bustle him away." [Globe and
Mail, 9/12/01] Bush later says of the experience, "I am very aware
of the cameras. I'm trying to absorb that knowledge. I have nobody
to talk to. I'm sitting in the midst of a classroom with little
kids, listening to a children's story and I realize I'm the
Commander in Chief and the country has just come under attack."
[Telegraph, 12/16/01] Bush continues to listen to the goat story for
about ten more minutes (see (9:06-9:16 a.m.)). The reason given is
that, "Without all the facts at hand, George Bush ha[s] no intention
of upsetting the schoolchildren who had come to read for him."
[MSNBC, 10/29/02]

>                         Now faced with the overwhelming facts that
it is an attack, and not an accident, he now has allot more on his
mind.  Befuddlement?   I saw the look on his face, and I would call
it a mild state of shock, not befuddlement.  The Secret Service is
not concerned, so he continues with the story (  it appears to me he
uses the rest of the time to gather his thoughts ), as well as keep
the second graders calm.
>                                 (9:06-9:16 a.m.)
>

>                                 Bush, having just been told of the
second WTC crash (see (9:06 a.m.)), does not leave the Sarasota,
Florida, classroom he entered around 9:03. Rather, he stays and
listens as 16 Booker Elementary School second-graders take turns
reading a story called Pet Goat, about a girl's pet goat. [AFP,
9/7/02] They are just about to begin reading when Bush is warned of
the attack. One account says that the classroom is then silent for
about 30 seconds, maybe more. Bush then picks up the book and reads
with the children "for eight or nine minutes." [Tampa Tribune,
9/1/02] In unison, the children read out loud, "The-Pet-Goat. A-girl-
got-a-pet-goat. But-the-goat-did-some- things-that-made-the-girl's-
dad-mad." And so on. Bush mostly listens, but does ask the children
a few questions to encourage them. [Washington Times, 10/7/02] At
one point he says, "Really good readers, whew! . These must be sixth-
graders!" [Time, 9/12/01] In the back of the room, Press Secretary
Ari Fleischer catches Bush's eye and holds up a pad of paper for him
to read, with "DON'T SAY ANYTHING YET" written on it in big block
letters. [Washington Times 10/7/02]

>                                 Bush is advised not to make a big
deal of it yet, by a person that he is supposted to trust.

>                                 You wanted water, now your cup
runith over.

>                                 7 minutes, big deal!!
>

>                                 Those few extra minutes made some
second graders feel special before their day was ruined, gave his
advisors the extra time to get as many of the facts as possible to
give him the best possible briefing when he was done, and gave him
time to collect his thoughts.  With all the confusion, even 15 min,
would not have given enough time to sort things out, and be able to
deal with everything effectively, heck they were still loading the
missiles on the F-16s when the last plane slammed into the
Pentagon.   I doubt that even today, 30 min would be enough time.

>                                 Like I said before hindsight is
20/20,  to bad foresight isn't as good.

>                                 You said your said your self, you
joked about it, would you have joked about it if you took a little
extra time to find out about it?  I doubt it.

>                               Greg H.
>

>                   Andrew Card tells Bush the second WTC tower has
been hit. See a video of Bush's reaction here: