  From: Teoman Naskali
  To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 9:47 AM
  Subject: [biofuel] My FIrst Batch

  My first batch looks like it is fairly successfull, I
  found an old scale purely mechanical. With which i
  managed to measure the NaOH.

  I mixed it with the methanol in a jar, it took about
  25 mins to mix, and in the end result one could almost
  see very very tiny particles floating.

  I heated the oil (corn oil) in a jar which i placed in
  a pan filled with water. I kept the heat constant
  between 55 and 60 degrees.

  Then i slowly added the methanol with lye. I kept it
  at constant temperature for about three hours and i
  gave it a good shake every half an hour.
  Can you ruin it by overstirring? Or can i recover it
  if the reaction has not compleeted because of
  insufficient stirring?

  It has been settling for about two hours now. There is
  some brownish reddis stuff at the bottom, some yellow
  liquid which i hope is biodiesel and a very thin again
  reddish brownish layer on top. Tthe biodiesel is not
  too clear. Does this sound ok? Or have i goofed?

  HOw can i check if my methanol is good?
  And if i wash it is this stuff good enough to pour in
  to my car?

  I must say i am excited, what is the next step?

  thanks,
  Teoman

  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor