Hello Phil, Martin, and the rest of bio fuel members.

I am new to the group, and I just recently learned about bio fuels myself.  I
know I have already told a dozen or so folks about them as well.  I have not
gotten the two headed look, but most people are skeptical of what they don't
know.  It's like they don't want to believe something could be so simple.  I am
quick to tell them that Big Business, and our own government, are the main
reason's no one knows about this.  That alone gets half the people I know
interested.... then it is not just a bunch of PhD's dreaming, it is a reality
and a conspiracy.  For some reason this makes bio fuels more creditable to most
people I talk to.  I am not an authority or expert, but I would like to learn
more.  I think the rest of the U.S. would like to know also.  The last weekend
of July many progressive, forward thinking, intelligent people will be
converging in and around Boston.  This will be a prime opportunity to tell
others about bio fuels.  I mentioned it to a few event leaders, and they were
wanting some people to give a talk or discussion.  The Progressive Summit will
be the week before the DNC Convention in Boston.  Kevin Spidel was wanting to
know if some one would be interested in addressing the group, and also the
Democracy Fest 2004 will be the same weekend, about two hours from Boston,
Jessica Falker is the main organizer of that event.  They are still looking for
forward thinking activist to enlighten the crowds.  I am not qualified to
discuss what I am just beginning to learn about, but I am trying to spark
interest in others, and trying to learn more myself.  If you think you could
give a presentation at either event please let me know.  Or just go down for
the weekend, have some fun, and talk to as many people as you can.  I'll attach
a copy of an email I have been sending out to people I know, in case you are
interested, or in case you can enlighten me more.
P.S. sorry my first post is so long, promise I won't do this often.  ---
Jennifer Doty

Hello All,

    I read a recent article about energy independence.  I am very glad to see
some people touching on this subject.  I would like to see more in-depth
articles, that really show the citizens of the U.S. how screwed up our current
administration is.  For a long time we have known about the green house effect,
the poisons we are putting into our environment, and the face that we will be
running out of Oil world wide.  What I don't understand is why so many of us
think that there is nothing simple we can do about it.  Very few people in
America know that we can produce clean fuels, that will power our cars with
almost no change to our current engines and fuel systems.  I did not know until
I got into a discussion with my father.  We don't need to buy expensive hybrid
cars, and we don't need fossil fuels.  I think that this information is
deliberately not being talked about, because then George W. would loose all
remaining support for his war with Iraq, and would stand to loose a few billion
himself.
  This needs to be brought out and discussed.  The Democracy Festival 2004
(Deanfest), and the Democratic Convention will be a good place to start
discussing this with lots of other like minded, intelligent, concerned people.
There will be all kinds of Progressive things going on in and around Boston
that week.  Please take time to read think and pray about how to reach as many
people as you can.  I have included other links at the bottom of this email,
and you will be amazed at what a simple goggle search will show you.  Please
forward this email on to every one in your address book.  We need to start a
nation wide discussion about biofuels.
   We can currently produce synthic oil  ( Castro Syntec ) , and there are
small research companies doing one better.  They are producing synthic diesel,
gasoline, kerosene, oil, etc. out of bio mass by products.  Not the same thing
as corn ethanol, but actual bio diesel, and bio gasoline.  Our current
combustible engines that use fossil fuel oils, diesel, and gasoline take few or
no changes to burn these bio fuels.  No one would have to trade in their car,
or purchase expensive hybrid cars, and the bio fuels would be better for the
environment than fossil fuels, emitting much less CO2, less greenhouse effect.
    Right now we are fighting a war for oil.  Any claims to tie Iraq with the
9-11 thing have all been disputed and found not real.  Thus we are fighting for
oil.  Oil which will be gone in 50 years.  Why are we fighting, and spending
billions of dollars to have control of something that is going to be gone in 50
years?  We could invest half as much as this war is costing, into development
of bio fuel plants, and be free from dependence on fossil fuel oil, and create
jobs here in America.  High paying, high tech jobs.  If we start now, in 50
years foreign countries may be purchasing bio fuels from us, instead of us
buying fossil fuels from them.  There is a company in Canada which claims it
has already started a biofuel plant, and is ready for production.
    Please look into this and report on the gross negligence of our current
administration.  The only thing I can figure is that George W. Bush does not
want any one to know about bio fuels until he has personally made a few billion
more off his oil.  I would rather see our country make billions of dollars
selling bio fuels to other nations, and pay of our national debt.  I want to
see thousands of new high tech high paying jobs.  I want to see this war over
and no one else die.  I want to see us emerge as the moral standards leader,
and environmental standards leader, and advancements in technology leader.
Right now we are struggling in all these areas.  More reasons to get rid of
Bush and all who think like him!
    Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter.  I look forward
to the time when every one in America is talking about, researching, and using
biofuels. I look forward to reading articles on this administrations efforts to
hide technological advances, and thwart production of bio fuels, increase our
dependence on foreign oil, and just plain hide important information from the
general public... (again) .  The government has invested a little money into
biofuels research already, but they are not saying much about it.  They will
wait 5-10 years, until they have made as much money as they can, and this war
and occupation is finally over, then they will say " Look what we
discovered.... "
   We can get this started.  Let us start talking to every one we know today.
In case you were wondering, I work for Doty Scientific.  www.DotyNMR.com  My
father, Dr. F. David Doty, is president and owner of this company.  He has a
PhD in Physics, and is internationally known and respected in his field.  We
specialize in NMR and MRI technology.  Energy conservation and solutions are an
active hobby of his.  Take the time to investigate bio fuels.  You will be
surprised.   Below is an email my father sent to me.  It has a few links and
his thoughts listed.  A simple goggle search will also produce more info. than
you could imagine.

Jennifer,
It's surprising how misinformed the general public and most politicians are
about the putative "hydrogen economy".  Dr. Joe Romm, former Director of Energy
Efficiency and Renewables at DOE, in his recent book, The Hype About Hydrogen,
discusses the huge challenges posed by a hydrogen economy.  He says hydrogen is
unlikely to have a significant impact before 2050 and we can't wait that long.
Another very important scholarly study, by the Institute for Lifecycle
Environmental Assessment http://www.ilea.org/, partially funded by the
MacArthur Foundation, and to appear in the journal Energy Policy, was just
released.  It compares hydrogen as a future energy carrier to electricity and
shows how inferior hydrogen would be.

It is becoming increasingly more clear to a growing group of distinguished
scientists that the "hydrogen economy" is really a ruse -- a distraction -- and
our only viable, long-term, transportation option is renewables.  The National
Academy of Science and National Academy of Engineering (NAS/NAE) have recently
released the most thorough study thus far on the "hydrogen economy", The
Hydrogen Economy: Opportunities, Costs, Barriers, and R&D Needs,
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309091632/html/ .  This study definitely gets it
right on most accounts, but still understates the hydrogen challenges.

First, the NAS/NAE study gets it right on both current fuel-cell (FC)
state-of-the-art and on CO2 emissions from hydrogen production.  Production of
liquid hydrogen (which is required for practical distribution) from natural
gas, results in the release of over 20 kg of CO2 for every kilogram of liquid
hydrogen (H2) produced (1 kg of H2 has the energy of 1 gal. of gasoline).
Liquid hydrogen from coal, which is what we'll be using in 25 years, results in
the release of 30 kg of CO2 per kg of H2 (unless the CO2 is sequestered, which
adds $1 per kg of H2).  After another decade of progress, hydrogen vehicles
(with production-grade FCs then getting 38% efficiency) will cause over three
times as much CO2 to be released per mile as advanced diesel hybrids -- and
that's without even using biodiesel.

However, the NAS/NAE report fails to address the seriousness of the issue of FC
vehicle cost.  After more than a decade of intensive FC R&D, there is still no
basis for the hope that it will eventually be possible to produce vehicle-grade
FC systems priced within a factor of ten of what will be required to compete
with the advanced diesel hybrid.  The NAS/NAE study notes that 75 kW (100 hp)
proton exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFCs) with unimpressive efficiency
(30-35%) are finally commercially available in the range of $3000-5500/kW for
stationary applications, but these FCs (which would come to $500K for a typical
car) would be quickly and seriously incapacitated under road conditions -- by
vibration, freezing temperatures, or the air pollution levels often encountered
in heavy traffic.   They typically last less than 30,000 miles.

A second major problem in the NAS/NAE study was its hydrogen price estimates.
The DOE/EIA has been forced to make major upward revisions in their price
projections every year for the past six years.  More realistic projections
expect natural gas in 2025 to cost $16/GJ at the city gate, which is still only
50% above recent peaks but 3.5 times the price assumed in the NAS/NAE report.
Realistic hydrogen price projections (see 'A Realistic Look at Hydrogen Price
Projections', http://www.dotynmr.com/PDF/Doty_H2Price.pdf ) indicate hydrogen
will cost 3 to 6 times what they are expecting, and the fuel cost per mile in
the FC vehicle will be 4 to 8 times that in the advanced bio-diesel hybrid in
2025.

The NAS/NAE report should have emphasized that next-generation biofuels for
future transportation fuels need greatly increased attention and funding.
Major investments are needed into advanced diesel hybrids, cellulosic ethanol,
bio-methanol, high-oil algae, and advanced catalysts for standard fuels from
methanol.

For more detailed information on advanced biofuels, check out the following
excellent articles:

 http://pubs.acs.org/email/cen/html/060804150713.html
 http://www.memagazine.org/pejun04/swineoil/swineoil.html
 http://www.dotynmr.com/PDF/Doty_FutureFuels.pdf .

Responsible planning to avert a looming energy crisis would have us re-direct
much of the hydrogen funding to next-generation liquid biofuels, renewable
fertilizers, wind, and solar.  With modest increases in funding of advanced
concepts in liquid biofuels, much better options are possible.

F. David Doty, Ph.D.
President
Doty Scientific, Inc.
700 Clemson Rd.