Here is my understanding of the issues surrounding Diesel engines when
used at altitude.

A few years ago I took a trip in the mountains in Bolivia, which
involved being driven through some very spectacular mountain scenary.
At one point we were climbing up a hill and I was very aware that the
vehicle seemed to have very little power - not like it had been the
previous day. I hadn't realised until then that we were at
approximately 5000m (yes, metres not feet!) of altitude, and so I now
had reason to think about the whole issue of engines, turbochargers and
altitude.

At the end of the day it's all about how much oxygen you can get into
the cylinder. If you turbocharge the engine, you get more, and if
you're at altitude, you get less. If you use a turbocharger at
altitude, the two effects partially cancel each other out. But
basically, for a given engine and a given fuel, you will always get
less power at higher altitude than at sea level, for this reason.
Changing fuel will not be able to 'counteract' the altitude, nor will
fitting a turbocharger - you will only get the same benefits you would
get anyway at sea level. (These may of course prove to be useful
benefits at high altitude if the engine would otherwise be
underpowered, for example).

Of course, a consequence of less oxygen in the cylinder is that the
maximum amount of fuel you can burn will be less (this is why you get
less power!). Depending on how sophisticated your injection system is,
it may not be aware of the fact that there is less oxygen, and may pump
too much fuel - with the result that you get lots of soot and
incomplete combustion. If your injection system does not know about the
altitude, you may be able to adjust it to reduce the maximum fuel
charge it delivers. Alternatively, if you don't press the accelerator
pedal so far you will reduce the fuel delivered, hence reducing the
soot.

The only way to get lots of power at high altitude is to fit a bigger
engine to compensate. This will then be seriously overpowered when used
at sea level. This is one of the drawbacks of internal combustion
engines, and they generally need to be set up correctly for the
altitude they will be driving at. I'm not an expert on fuel injection
systems, but I wouldn't be surprised if modern systems sold in
mountainous regions had a means of automatically reducing the maximum
fuel delivery when at altitude.

As an aside, can anyone tell me what the air pressure is at 5000m?
There were some volcanic steam vents in this area and I was surprised
that I could put my hand in the steam without it scalding - I guess
this means that the water was boiling at around 50-60 degrees, rather
than 100.

Hope this helps,
Donald

=====
--
43 - slightly more than the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com