I have found several sources who can supply the various chemicals required
for processing SVO/WVO into bio diesel but in this country they all require
that I complete a questionnaire I find intrusive and offensive. Apart from
extremely personal questions it requires detailed descriptions of intended
use and consequence.

Methanol which is a dangerous substance can be bought freely at speed shops
etc but the rigmarole described above applies to isopropyl alcohol and
phenolphthalein.

So, I am wondering if any of the chemists or more experienced of you on the
list can tell me if any other, perhaps more readily available chemicals
could be substituted, after all if methanol and caustic soda are considered
'household goods', then maybe vodka and baking soda...........

Similarly I have a gardeners ph meter which reads 6.8 in my well water and
goes off the scale on the acid side in weak coffee machine de-chalker, it is
callibrated in whole numbers between 4 and 10. When it's not doing anything
it's exactly between end of 6 and beginning of 7 - will it do?

Thankyou