Hello Tom

>[Edited to change subject title from "Re: Digest Number 2307".
>PLEASE change the title when you auto-reply to a message in the
>Daily Digest. Nobody will read a message titled "Re: Digest Number
>2262", it confuses the threads and fouls up archives searches
>forever. Thankyou. List owner]
>
>Hello,
>
>Just a comment:
>
>Does everyone have to keep copying and posting the
>complete article of websites and posting them to the
>list?

They don't - have another look. Sometimes the full article is posted,
sometimes just the link. This has been discussed previously several
times. There's often good reason for posting the full article, but
it's impossible to make a ruling on it either way that wouldn't chuck
out a few babies with the bathwater. It has to be left to each
member's discretion to decide on a case-by-case basis. I think they
do it quite well.

If you have a closer look, you'll see that my posts in particular
refer to archives links whenever possible - these are previously
posted messages in the list's Amazingly Useful independent archives.
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/

Some of these links are to previous discussions, some to previously
posted articles. Some articles previously posted in full have been
referred to time and time again. It's very efficient, and makes the
posting of the original article in full more than worthwhile - much
bandwidth and lis clutter is saved this way. Again, web links change,
and many of these articles are no longer to be found at their
original links, but they're here for keeps in our archives for all to
share.

That's one case, there are many others. Can't make rules about it.

>Can't this be stopped and just post the link and your
>comments on it, so far It seems almost impossible to
>develop good information from the list when a few
>people seem to be just posting other peoples works

I thought that might be more your problem. The Biofuel list isn't a
high volume list (200-300 emails a day), just medium volume (about 30
or so messages a day). So if you can't handle the Biofuel list as an
information resource then you need to improve your techniques. Sorry,
not trying to lecture you, but I'm an information professional, I'd
like to help, and quite a lot of people have trouble with this.

One problem might be that you're using Yahoo. I confess I don't
really know how it works - you have to collect messages at their
website? You really need a proper email account that delivers email
to your computer via a good email program (eg Eudora, or Outlook
Express if you're careful about viruses). Then you have email filters
that you can set, and search functions you can use to find data in
what will soon grow into a VERY useful database on your own hard disk
- or rather a set of databases, one for each mailing list you belong
to. This is essential to handling mailing lists properly, IMO, and
the Internet in general I think. As Gustl said, Daily Digests are not
a good way of doing it, they only look like a good way at first, but
they make the information less accessible, not more.

Please have a look at this previous message on this subject, it might help you:
http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/21700/

Here's another way that a list member recommended - good!

>I'm accustomed to the e-mail system and simply file messages I want
>to keep in an archival folder. Everything else goes in the trash
>after reading because I know it's all archived for my benefit, and
>accessible when the need arises. (Thank you, thank you, thank you!)

And yet another way from another member - BAD!

"My solution is to monitor the in-box regularly printing those items
of special interest (for a resource file), and deleting those
postings which are not of specific interest."

Printing??? Ulp... You can't grep dead trees. He hasn't realised what
a computer does, and he hasn't discovered archives yet either.
Another point that he misses, which the previous member doesn't miss,
is that it's impossible to pre-judge which information will turn out
to be useful and which not. On a computer it just doesn't matter -
the more information there is in your database the more sheer depth
it will have, while it won't make searching any slower, and
current-model computer hard disks have plenty of space, 40Gb and
more. (That's equivalent to 40,000 to 50,000 hard-copy books.)

>sorry, but the emails are getting impossible to scroll
>thru to find people that have new good info

With a global membership of 2,900 people from more than a hundred
different countries, there will be very many different
interpretations of what is "new good info". But there's room for
everybody and everything.

Best wishes

Keith

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/FGYolB/TM