I've been wondering...  has anyone tried an old box fan motor with a
paint stirrer on the end instead of a drill?  I thought the torque
handling capabilities of the drill might be overkill, and something
with lower torque strength might get the job done.

-= Jay =-

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "bioveging" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I have done this very thing with a 40 liter batch and washed it in
> poly drum (200liter) using a standard paint stirrer on the end of
> standard drill and got excellent fuel from it (it's all gone now
> thanks to the Benz) :) Tonight I am going to acquire a Pony Pump
and
> once that gets set up I will let you know how it worked (or
didn't).
> The drill-pumps are not doing very well, they keep burning out. I
> have one that draws water and is still operational but the two I
was
> using, one for wash and the other for transfer of BD through
filters
> crapped on me, so it's $ and Pony Pump time.
> Stir mixing works well, but be very cautious of the methanol
fumes.
> Make it fumeless (closed) if possible. If not do it outside in a
> cross wind. Washing with a paint mixer works very well and allows
> for longer settling after washing than bubble or mist washing does
> as well as it's other advantages.
>
> L.
>
> L.
>
> --- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "dermot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Thanks everybody for the replies.
> > I mixed the methoxide with the wvo by gradually letting the pump
> suck it from a carboy as the wvo was being pumped through the
> processor.
> > I'm fairly happy that there was good mixing because of the tests
> did after I made the biodiesel.
> > Remember that I reprocessed the biodiesel a second time and got
no
> glycerine fall out indicating that all the product had reacted.
> > I also did the share test and got a clear separation.
> >
> > I'm fairly sure at this stage that my problem is that too
vigorous
> pumping produces mayonnaise even if the biodiesel has reacted
fully.

> > I am going to try another 50 litre batch and I will use a
> motorised stirrer this time.
> > Has anybody got any idea about the diameter of impellor I should
> use and what rpm to use?
> > I'm going to use a 200 litre plastic barrel to do the washing.
> >
> > Thanks everybody again for the help/suggestions.
> >
> > Dermot

All
> [...]
> > mixture
> > >   (about 20
> > >   > litres) I put into a plastic carboy and went on holidays
for
> > >   week. When I
> > >   > came back I had three layers; the top 30 percent was
> > biodiesel, a
> > >   large
> > >   > middle layer of mayonnaise about 60 per cent and a bottom
> > layer of
> > >   slightly
> > >   > darker mayonnaise.
> > >   >
> > >   > I then went back to my two samples "A" and "B" which I was
> > happy
> > >   was good
> > >   > biodiesel and performed the wash test on them yet again but
> > this
> > >   time very
> > >   > vigorously and for about five minutes each. I was trying to
> > >   simulate the
> > >   > mixing that occurred in the pump mixing. No matter how
hard I
> > >   shook I still
> > >   > got good separation on BOTH samples.
> > >   >
> > >   > It would seem to me that the initial wash has got to be
quite
> > >   gentle even
> > >   > with well made biodiesel and that subsequent washes can
then
> > be as
> > >   violent
> > >   > as you like and you will still get good separation.
> > >   >
> > >   > Before I try another batch I would appreciate any comments
> from
> > >   anybody who
> > >   > has tried this washing method. I'm obviously doing
something
> > wrong
> > >   or else
> > >   > pump mixing doesn't work.
> > >   > Sorry for being so long winded but I think in order to get
> good
> > >   advice you
> > >   > need as complete a picture of what I did as possible.
> > >   >
> > >   > Regards
> > >   >
> > >   > Dermot
> > >

> > >   Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
> > >   http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html
> > >
> > >   Biofuels list archives:
> > >   http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/
> > >
> > >   Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.
> > >   To unsubscribe, send an email to:
> > >   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >   Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >

> > >   Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
> > >   http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html
> > >
> > >   Biofuels list archives:
> > >   http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/
> > >
> > >   Please do NOT send Unsubscribe messages to the list address.
> > >   To unsubscribe, send an email to:
> > >   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >

> > >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> > >     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > >     c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms