Hi Kim and Garth and All ;;

> They had to store food here
> before electricity, all I
> need to find out is how.

I think there  were many ways of storing food before
electricity, but only one involved the cold
temperatures that you indicated :  Ice storage.  In
other words, make lots of ice when the weather
permitted, and store it under sawdust for when it is
needed.  As you know, other ways of storing food
without refrigeration are drying, canning, salting,
smoking, fermenting, etc.  The fermented fish they eat
over here stays (festers?) for months without
refrigeration (but I won't go near it!).

> if possible I would like to build a natural system
that
> does not require energy.

Your idea is a good one.  If I may recommend, please
see a fascinating web site for a solar ice machine
which uses not electricity at all :

http://www.energy-concepts.com/isaac.html

This one uses water/ammonia system, and needs a heat
sink (they call it a thermosyphon) for correct
operation.  A heat sink is a body of water or a large
radiator that can dissipate large amount of heat.  The
write up doesn't make a big thing about it, but it is
necessary for correct operation.  Check out the rest
of the site for good info about absorbtion.  It has
been in use for about 100 years.  Before that there
was only one way to get cold temperatures : ice
storage.  About 5kg ice per m2 of collector area.  11
m2 system about $7,000.  That's pretty good.

For another clever system which doesn't need a heat
sink, download the pdf file at :

www.homepower.com/files/solarice.pdf

Also, please search for "ammonia ice solar".  There is
enough info to build your own system.  Concentrated
ammonia is highly toxic but biodegradable.  With
proper precautions, operator training, and correct
maintenance, the system would be safe.

Another interesting possibility is if you have a
generator running already for electricity, then  the
heat of the exahaust gasses (which is waste heat right
now) could be utilized to drive the absorbtion process
per these links (or free ice!). The exhaut gasses are
at least 250 degrees F.  In that case  no solar
collectors would be needed.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Peter G.