Hi,

   I hope this don't come out the wrong way because I mean to try to help.
Kim, I don't know where you need this cool storage, are you assuming there
was cool storage before electrical power was available or do you have
historical evidence of such cool storage?  In the event that historical
evidence exist hopefully history detailing how they did it also exists, but
the devil is finding it.  What I'm basically saying is if you have to go off
grid your lifestyle will have to be of that of your area's before electrical
power.  That may mean you will not be able to do all you want to do, unless
you employ other modern technology. GL
Doug, N0LKK
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(Ahem...)

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#handyfarm
Small Farms Library - Journey to Forever

Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them by Rolfe Cobleigh, Orange Judd Company, 1910 Not just nostalgia -- Cobleigh's devices and techniques were good answers to common farm problems and they're just as functional and useful now as they were then. Make your own workshop tools, a simple fence post and stump-puller, fences and gates that don't sag, building a farmhouse, barns and outbuildings, a bicycle-powered washing machine, a dog-powered pump, a lightweight orchard ladder, a portable chicken coop, a stone boat (for moving stone) and much more. Cobleigh's out to save you time and money -- a treasure for small farmers or homesteaders and anyone wanting to be more self-sufficient. Illustrated, good old-style writing, punctuated with quotes from Shakespeare or a local farmer, whichever's apt. Workshop and Tools, The Steel Square, In and Around the House, Barns and Stock, Poultry and Bees, Garden and Orchard, Field and Wood, Gates and Doors, When We Build, Worth Knowing. Full text online. With thanks to Kirk McLoren.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devicesToC.html
Handy Farm Devices - Cobleigh - ToC

9. When We Build
The Farmer's Icehouse