Hello Phil,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 10:09 PM
Subject: RE: Was Re: [Biofuel] Changing Government/Now ethanol

> Hello Phil
>
> >Hello all!
> >
> >Is there anyone out there who has tried running a petrol motor on
> >paraffin?  I know the timing needs retarding and that performance is
> >terrible, but here in Africa, the fuel is very, very cheap.
>
> I'm told it's done in Sri Lanka, probably in other countries. Maybe
> they start up on petrol (gasoline) ("in America they haven't spoken
> it for years"), but anyway they run a paraffin (kerosene) fuel line
> round the exhaust manifold to heat it up first. I think that means
> "hot", not just "warm". I guess they know just how to do it, and how
> not to do it too - probably not something to chuck guesses at.

We used to have many such engines in India called kero engines which were
fitted to motorbikes, mainly because of subsidised kerosene. One peculiarity
I noticed was that the engine continued to fire slowly and intermitently
long after the ignition was switched off.

> No, you certainly didn't ever hear such a thing from me, definitely not,
no.

> >What are the environmental implications of burning the stuff and
> >implications for engine life?

> Dire, probably, on both counts.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Keith
>

> >Phil Rendel
> >English Department
> >Kingswood College,
> >Burton Street,
> >Grahamstown
> >tel. 046 603 6600
> >fax. 046 622 3084
> >cell: 084 448 1052
>
> <snip>
Regards
balaji

Hello Phil!

If you wish, and Keith allows us to talk in depth about how to arrange
a petrol (gasoline) motor to work smoothly on motor paraffin (kerosene),
I can offer you my experience of 13 years and over 100.000 km with two
of my cars. Both driven by "motorpetroleum" and water"injection" (actually
suctioned by the motor itself, the same way as the fuel).

Max Gasman