Dear Damiando,

During my years working for a utility company in
californi and promoting renewable resources we worked
very closely with US Windpower at Altamont Pass.

Generally speaking, the rule of thumb is it takes an
average windspeed of 12-14 mph per day to provide
complete cost benefit from an investment point of view
and also the so-called "standard offer" contracts that
the CPUC offered to incent renewable energy.

The mechanical challenge is one of on-going
maintanence, tribology, shear, and also environmental
impact.  The windfarm on Altamont Pass has problems
with predator raptors flight path, nesting and
therefore lots of raptors losing their lives. It is a
big thing.

However, wind energy is a complimentary energy source
albeit not a constant.   I also worked at on windfarm
analysis for energy projects on Native American lands
and that is a very interesting proposition.

Good luck to you.

P. Wolfe