Civil works is dicey from the politics of the Civil
War. There is a legacy feeling that the Feds should
stay out of the way for things that counties could do
for themselves. But then the counties don't do those
things anyway. What is a poor citizen to do?

Check out this link for posse comitatus.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/comrel/factfile/Factcards/PosseComitatus.html

Posse Comitatus Act
Source: G-OPL

"POSSE COMITATUS ACT" (18 USC 1385): A Reconstruction
Era criminal law proscribing use of Army (later, Air
Force) to "execute the laws" except where expressly
authorized by Constitution or Congress. <<SNIP>>

Most States are still trying to recover from
"Navigable Waterways" laws which gave the Army Corps
of Engineers defacto control of much of the land in
the United States. The term "execute the laws" is
tightly guarded by states and even more tightly
interpreted.

However, I think Peggy is on the right track. Beating
swords into plowshares and spears into pruning hooks.
The military academies are probably the only schools
that had a curriculum to support environmental goals.
But even the Academies have abandoned the
environmental track. Also of interest is the Whiskey
Rebellion and Advisory Boards, if you want to explore
the policies.