> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> A  good article on why
> John Kerry would not treat Kyoto any differently than Bush.
>
> http://www.iht.com/articles/513306.html
>
> The people who publish 'The Guardian' live in a dream world.

 Kerry and Kyoto --

 John Kerry on the environment:
 An exclusive Grist interview.
 By Amanda Griscom
 http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2003/09/23/griscom-kerry/
 An example --
 Q. How do you consider yourself different from
      other candidates on the environment?
 A. This fight is such a part of who I am; it's not just an
      issue on my resume. I think I have the longest, strongest,
      clearest, most accomplished record on the environment of
      any of the candidates running. I began in 1970 when I
      spoke at Earth Day. I was chairman of Earth Day New England
      in 1990. I chaired a governor's task force on acid rain when
      I was a lieutenant governor and we developed a national
      platform for acid rain. I've been chairman of the
      Oceans and Environment Subcommittee of the Commerce Committee.
      I've rewritten our fisheries laws, our marine mammal protection
      laws, our plastic pollution laws, our flood insurance
      protection laws, our coastal-zone management laws. I've lead on
      tuna/dolphin safety issues, on banning driftnet fishing. I've been
      to all the major conferences -- Rio, Buenos Aires, Kyoto, The
      Hague -- on global warming. I led the fight to stop Newt
      Gingrich from attacking the Clean Air and Clean Water acts in
      1996, and I've led the effort in the Senate to stop the
      drilling in the Arctic wildlife refuge. I put together the
      first-ever sustainable development conference in Asia. I am
      proud of my record of accomplishment on the environment.
 And another example --
 Q. What would you do as president about the Kyoto Protocol on
      global climate change? Would you submit it to the Senate?
 A. No, not in its current form. It does have some flaws.
      It doesn't ask enough of developing nations, the
      nations that are going to be producing much greater
      emissions and which we need to get on the right course
      now through technology transfer. I would reopen the
      negotiating process, fix the flaws, and move forward....

 Presidential Candidates on the Kyoto Protocol
 http://environment.about.com/od/kyotoprotocol/i/kyoto_2.htm
 Kerry Position -- Global climate change is a big issue for
    Senator Kerry. He participated in the UNFCCC negotiations at
    the Rio Earth Summit in 1992, and served in the congressional
    delegation to the 1997 Kyoto and 2000 Hague climate talks.3
    Kerry has not explicitly endorsed the Treaty, but instead
    says he plans to reengage the international community in an
    attempt to craft a binding treaty that would go beyond Kyoto.4
 Bush Position -- President Bush backed out of the Kyoto Protocol
    in 2001, believing it would unfairly burden the U.S., while
    exempting major population centers such as China and India from
    compliance, and would cause serious harm to the U.S. economy.5
    The President then outlined the U.S. approach toward climate
    change, which favored voluntary action, increased research,
    and market-based mechanisms.6
 Where it Stands...

 Its my understanding the Kyoto Protocal offers
 "market-based mechanisms".  A response below --

 Bush and Kerry Offer Their Views on Science
   Science, Vol 306, Issue 5693, 46-52 ,
   http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5693/46
 CLIMATE CHANGE
 Science: Cap-and-trade programs for greenhouse gas emissions are
    starting up in other countries. Do you favor such a program
    for the United States?
 BUSH: [No response.]
 KERRY: As John Edwards and I work to rejoin the international
    community on global warming, we will work at home to take
    concrete steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our
    environmental and energy plans tap the ingenuity of
    American industry to reduce pollution while creating new
    jobs manufacturing cleaner technologies. The cap-and-trade
    system was pioneered in America, where it reduced acid
    rain pollution at a small fraction of the expected costs.
    John Edwards and I support a similar approach to
    global warming, setting concrete limits to reverse
    the growth in global warming pollution but letting
    industry find the best path for getting there.  [more]

 Compilation of campaign issues, candidate positions
 October 1, 2004
 Eds: This is a compilation of 19 issues stories sent over the past two weeks.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/trn/nw_washington/article/0,1891,TRN_5707_3223285,00.html

 FUEL EFFICIENCY
   BUSH rejected pleas from environmentalists to include a fuel efficiency
     increase in his national energy plan. The administration approved a
     slight increase for light trucks to be phased in by 2007.
   KERRY has proposed raising the average fuel economy of cars and light
     trucks to a combined average of 36 mpg by 2015. As a senator, he
     introduced the same proposal but the Senate rejected it.
 GLOBAL WARMING
   BUSH promised to curb power-plant emissions of carbon dioxide, but
     backed off the pledge after taking office. He withdrew the United States
     from the Kyoto Protocol, the international climate-change treaty.
   KERRY has a long history of participating in international climate
     negotiations and championing action to address global warming. Kerry
     proposes reductions in greenhouse-gas emissions and increased use of
     renewable energy.   [more]