I had thought of the fact that the european cars might actually have more
durable systems, but it also seems to me that there are far fewer muffler
shops than there were years ago.  The Volvos were built in Europe.  If I
remember correctly, the Beetles are assembled in Mexico, using parts from
around the world but mostly Germany.

Brian