On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Senator Kerry's speech in Congress
> of Oct. 9, 2002, in which Kerry said, "I believe the record of Saddam
> Hussein's ruthless, reckless breach of international values and
> standards of behavior....is cause enough for the world community to
> hold him accountable by use of force, if necessary..."

After he had outlived his usefulness in making war on Iran, murdering the
local Communists, suppressing the Kurds, etc.

Saddam must be feeling the force of the Earl of Strafford's exhortation,
as he was about to have his head chopped off for outliving his usefulness
to Charles I: "Put not your trust in princes".

Rumsfeld, Reagan and company were probably as guilty of the crime  under
the Nuremburg principles, of waging aggressive war on Iran in the 80's,
as Bush, Rumsfeld and company are for waging aggressive war on Iraq.

But, then, Nuremburg was for losers.

Anyone who reads the Federalist Papers, the writings of Thomas Jefferson,
etc,; will be aware that one reason that the U.S. Founding Fathers wished
to avoid foreign entanglements and foreign wars, was that they thought
that a constitutional republic could not not long exist in a state
devoted to self-aggrandizement by war (except against the Indians).

They were wise.

As Jefferson put it, "I tremble for my country, when I reflect that
God is just".

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada