I haven't driven across the entire country so I will only speak for the miles I have incurred.

You say you get 50 MHG with your Beetle, how many people is that with?
With more than one person and necessary luggage for going across country (
at least a week ), your mileage is going to go down, way down from your
average day or weekend getaway trip.

BTY, where do you live? It is one thing the brag about 50 MPG in flat
country, but, your mileage is likely going to drop once you get into
mountain county ( losing up to 1/4 to 1/2 of your MPG depending on the
capabilities of your vehicle - especially with the extra weight mentioned
above ),

I sense a little bit of exaggeration.

I drove with my dad and luggage from Chicago to Boston with speeds between 55-75 mph and averaged 58 mpg.

Beetles are notoriously underpowered for mountain country.

A stock TDI has 90 hp and 155 ft-lbs torque. I'm sure it will have no problem over the mountains. My modified TDI has 110 hp and 225 ft-lbs torque.

Going
to run the A/C on the trip?

Certainly not going up the hills only when going down. Any serious mpg driver knows that. They also tint the windows too keep the inside cooler and only run the fan.

What route are you going to take, some routes

<snip>

I also know that the winner of Tour de Soul competition was a biodiesel powered stock Jetta, which got around 85 mpg and broke multiple records.

Sincerely,

Todd