"Doug Younker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Daryl,
>
>     You have me pondering this screw powered splitter.  Would you arrange it
> so the screw is under tension or compression on the splitting stroke?  What
> style of thread would you use, would you use a single or double helix?  IMO
> Greg probably has the simple method of taking up the slack.
> Doug, N0LKK
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Not ignoring anyone, just catching up after falling behind.

I have a couple of thoughts on this.

First, is to use a double-screw axle jack.  These are common (or were) for 3/4
and
1-ton trucks here.  Put this on its side (so it pushes horizontally instead of
vertically, and turn the crank, possibly with a geared-down electric motor.
Retract the ram by reversing the motor.  Slow, but rated at 3 tons, so should
have
lots of drive to split wood.  Normally hand powered, so not a lot of power
consumption.  About 12 inches of drive action.

Second is to use an automotive scissors jack.  I have encountered these
primarily
in Japanese and French cars.  I would put the jack on its side, so the part
that
was normally on the ground would be against the log, and the part that lifted
the
car would be against the splitter frame, attached in some manner.  Then, a
motor
would drive the screw in the jack.  I have visions of attaching the motor to
the
jack screw somehow, so it will travel with the screw, which will move relative
the frame in operation.  I have seen these jacks with up to 15 inches of
travel,
and rated for about a ton, typically.  Again, designed to be operated by hand,
so
power consumption should be low.

So far, I think I prefer option 1.  Building up a short hand crank shouldn't be
hard.  So I would have the option of using hand power (like an old brace and
bit
hand drill) or a geared down electric motor on the same unit.

Decisions, decisions.  Multiple jacks, mechanical and hydraulic, and axes and
mauls.  Or should I just collect sawdust and woodchips and make briquettes?

Darryl

Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?