From: "Darryl McMahon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Electric Yard Tools (was Trees and power companies)

: Responding to several recent e-mails - thanks to all.
:
: Fritz, I've heard that it's easier to split wood when frozen.  However, I
don't
: plan to be where the wood is this winter - other commitments.  Next winter
could be
: another story.
:
: Greg, the spring has potential, but I would have to work against it while
doing the
: spliiting.  I'm thinking more of a rope and lever to reduce the muscle
work
: overall.  I had also thought about making the head-end adjustable (say 2"
slot
: spacing) to take up the slack, but mostly to deal with various length
pieces.
:
: Hoagie, thanks for the link to Harbor Freight.  I have heard there are
issues with
: getting to ship cross-border.  On the other hand, a Canadian company may
have a
: similar product (e.g. Princess Auto).  I'll have to look into that.
However, the
: illustrations may help if I still elect to build my own.
:
: I expect if I build something to work with the hydraulic (jack) cylinder I
have
: now, I can always convert it later to a screw jack or electrically-driven
: hydraulics.
:
: Mel, I have not looked at the HP page you cited yet, but I definitely
will.  Must
: be from an issue I missed before my subscription started.
:
: Thanks again to all.  For starters though, I'm going to get a new handle
for the
: old double-edged axe.  Always had a nice heft, and although originally
made for
: felling, has always done a nice job of splitting hardwood.
:
: Darryl McMahon

---