I've heard that they are bogus, but the person who told me spent the
time to research accurate figures and the following analysis.

"So, that last graphic turned out to be taken from an old hoax, circa
2000.  But, curious, I dug up the real data. So, here it is. And there's
a numerical correlation of 26.7% between IQ and margin of victory for
Kerry.  Meaning that 26.7% of how much a state voted for Bush,
statistically speaking, can be explained by related to their collective
IQ. It's important to note that correlation does not imply causation.
But there is a legitimate relationship there, numerically.

"What I just did highlights a problem in the Democratic Party. We are
perceived as elitist snobs because we run studies to prove that we are
elite. And unfortunately, the only way we ever seem to get to do
anything good is when the other guys fuck up enough for everyone to get
pissed off at them and vote us in. If anyone has any good ideas about
how to capture the hearts (and not just the minds) of middle America,
please pass it on to Bob Shrum."

State

Bush Victory

IQ