Hi Keith and All ;

> Along with many others, Jean Pain uses such material
> in his system,
> but he wants it to stay hot all year, not just for a
> month.

Yes I studied the web page cited and just wondered if
it could be sped up from the 18 months he states.  I
want  large amounts of compost from wood stock as fast
as possible and I don't care too much about heat or
biogas (at the moment).

> >Wood chippers are not available here
>
> Really? A hammermill will do.

Funny you should mention a hammermill.  I just bought
one from a scrap dealer (working but slightly rusted)
not really knowing what I would use it for.  It has
hammers with about a 5"  throat and a screen at the
bottom with holes about 1 cm diameter.  Would the wood
be pulverized sufficiently enough to pass through
these holes?  I thought it looked designed to
pulverize corn or something else.  Are there different
types of hammermills?  What would one look like if it
were suitable for wood?  Wouldn't you need to chip it
first?

> Anyway, Peter, we discussed this before - it's pigs
> you want. You
> can't make smoked rashers out of a shredder! Nor
> does it plough up
> the soil and manure it for you. Very obliging, pigs.
> Yes, yes, the
> book in question - still not finished scanning. But
> I've just
> uploaded another book, which leaves three currently
> being scanned
> (and scores to come!), so I'll focus on "The
> Pioneering Pig".
> Scanning goes slowly, but it does go, I fit in an
> hour or so here and
> there when I can. It should be ready in a week or
> so.

Great!! I'm looking forward to it.  I have no idea how
to do this.  I asked a very knowledgable friend about
pig clearing and his resposne was wild boar types
would work good but they are very agressive animals.
Goats would be better, he said.  Then I had a question
about capacity, in other words, I figured a hundred
pigs per ht for a month(?).  Then I wondered how long
would it take the pigs to kill a medium tree (say 4"-5
at the base).  So the book would be very helpful.

Best Regards,

Peter G.
Thailand
(never made compost, never germinated a seed, but a
fast learner)