snip
Who wouldn't find liberty, equality, justice and freedom of religion concepts worthy of utmost respect? These are supposed to be the undergirding principles upon which our nation was founded, and it may be difficult for foreigners to grasp how profoundly these ideas are impressed upon us from a very young age. We are taught to believe that America stands for these principles, and to define ourselves as Americans with these ideals. I learned the extent of my "conditioning" when I moved to Canada, discovering that people up here often define themselves in terms of what is NOT American, rather than what IS Canadian. (Luc and Ed, does this ring true?)
snip

Greetings,
Yes the concepts of liberty, equality, justice and freedom of religion are worthy of respect. It is sad so few have any for them.

Freedom of religion??? I have met extremely few Americans that actually believe that, and most of them I have met are on this list. To most Americans, freedom of religion means that it is okay to be a Quaker or Mormon. Jehovah's Witness is dicey, forget being Pagan. There are court battles going on right now, over the custody of children, the issue: Mom is a Witch, therefore it is the duty of the court to remove the children to a family member that is Christian. And yes, if you really want me to I can give specifics.

While I am not Luc or Ed, I did spend my first 35 years in Canada. Canada has its own conditioning, as I suspect each county does. And yes, much of Canada's conditioning is anti American. This point is brought home to us very strongly every time we visit Canada, especially when the subject of citizenship comes up. The fact that we are willing to give up being Canadian to have the right to vote where we live is not understood.

If the world had the tolerance and ability to communicate that I find on this list, I think we would have a much more peaceful world. To those who do not think that peace is possible, I hold up this list as an example of what is possible.

Bright Blessings,
Kim