Perlites and found with the Borates and all part of
the volcanic geological evolution. We have a lot of
Perlites in our Sierra Nevadas in California. Same
with borates (borax).  Borates, perlites, colemanites,
- all that stuff can be found anywhere you have an
escarpment of raised mountains due to ancient volcanic
magma "scarns" and earthquake activity especially next
to an arid desert bowl.

What is Perlite?
http://www.perlite.info/hbk/0034409.htm
Perlite is not a trade name but a generic term for
naturally occurring siliceous volcanic rock. The
distinguishing feature which sets perlite apart from
other volcanic glasses is that when heated to a
suitable point in its softening range, it expands from
four to twenty times its original volume.

This expansion process is due to the presence of two
to six percent combined water in the crude perlite
rock. When quickly heated to above 1600 F (870 C) the
crude rock pops in a manner similar to popcorn as the
combined water vaporizes and creates countless tiny
bubbles in the softened glassy particles. It is these
tiny glass-sealed bubbles which account for the
amazing lightweight and other exceptional physical
properties of expanded perlite.

The expansion process also creates one of perlite's
most distinguishing characteristics: its white color.
While the crude perlite rock may range from
transparent to light gray to glossy black, the color
of expanded perlite ranges from snowy white to grayish
white.

Expanded perlite can be manufactured to weigh from 2
lbs/ft3 (32 kg/m3) to 15 lb/ft3 (240 kg/m3) making it
adaptable for numerous uses, including filtration,
horticultural applications, insulation, inert carriers
and a multitude of filler applications.