I wonder if is it possible to obtain a "good Biodiesel" using a blend of 50% Biodiesel + 50% Stoddard solvent. Any one knows Stoddard solvent price?. Are there different kinds of Stoddard solvent?.
Thanks in advance,
Francisco.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Transesterification versus solvent/filtering methods

Hello Chris

Been having a look over www.bio-power.co.uk. The process they are using is based on adding solvents and filtering & settling the oils into a product suitable for road fuel. The process seems to produce little waste and uses no dangerous chemicals. What are your views on this method as oppose to transesterification? This method does at first glance have its appeals but I am wondering about possible disadvantages.

Hm, yes. John Nicholson's operation. This is what it says about it at our website:

... A variation on this theme is adding a solvent to the veg oil to lower the viscosity -- usually 3% white spirit (a.k.a. mineral turpentine, Stoddard solvent, turpentine substitute). This raised a lot of interest after it was publicized on a British TV program -- "just add a spoonful". It also raised a lot of scepticism: "'experimental' at best" was the view of experienced SVO'ers, and "steer well clear" unless you have a 5-cyl IDI Mercedes (in which case you don't even need the white spirit). We agree. Work on blends of SVO with other solvents, such as butanol and ethanol, is still experimental. By all means go ahead and experiment, but there are no guarantees.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#1mixing

The "experienced SVO'ers" were Biofuel list members, and some of them were much ruder than that about it.

I haven't followed it closely (not very interested), but we do get a lot of input and feedbck and I think if there'd been some revolutionary development I'd probably have heard of it.

However, have a look at Darren's site, which will have a more thorough and up-to-date treatment of it:

"Vegetable Oil as a Fuel" by Darren Hill -- book-length online report, mainly UK-based: The Diesel Engine, Theory of Vegetable Oil Use as a Fuel, Engine suitability, Heating the Oil, Biodiesel, Micro Emulsions and Blends, Vegetable Oil Engine Design, Vegetable Oil Furnaces and Heaters, Oil Types and Filtering, Taxation, Implications of Vegetable Oil Fuel Use, Sources. Darren welcomes contributions from users.
http://www.vegburner.co.uk/report.html

Best wishes