Thanks Paddy!

Ah yes...time. It's funny that way.

I remember being in high school and complaining how I didn't have any money. It
would be nice to have both some day.

:-)

Mike

Paddy O'Reilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

I've been thinking about using old PCs to do exactly this job for ages
and for work I've used LabWindows to drive the parallel port for a host
of stuff. I've been looking at using plain old DOS6.22 and freeware
TurboC for control. Most parallel ports are bi-directional (well on any
PC that still works), TurboC can be quite compact and when you run it
under DOS there are no crazy Windows traps to fall into. I tested the PC
port of an old 90MHz Pentium and I think I got 22ns switching rates from it.

However, I haven't managed to get the time or useful purpose for any of
my ideas yet but I'd be delighted to give you as much info as I have on
controlling parallel ports and my limited knowledge of Turbo C.

Paddy.

DHAJOGLO wrote:

>>Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Attn. Pack Rats -- (maybe) A cheap Process Control Idea
>>
>>Hi everyone,

>>I was thinking of developing generic software (in C or assembler) for old
>>computers to convert them into process controllers. For example, it might
>>make an effective temperature controller for your still. If this works, I
>>would take the programs and put them on a web page for download. If it's
>>truly generic (compatible with all XX86 architecture), it will be a matter of
>>copying the executable file to the hard drive of a computer, adding a line to
>>the autoexec.bat file and making a harness (serial/parallel port to solid
>>state relays and sensors).
>>

>Mike,
> I think you have a great idea. I do know that your choice of OS will be
> important. Between linux and microsoft there are a host of small, compact
> OSes that can be customized for specific support. I say this because
> depending on the level of control you are looking for (just turning off a
> mixer after a time limit or actually opening valves and running pumps) may be
> difficult to attain with a generic OS.
>
>However, I would look into the following areas for "inspiration"
>
>http://www.automatedaquariums.com/
>http://www.brewtechlabs.com/prod01_falcon.htm
>http://www.employees.org/~joestone/Sbs/
>http://www.controlanything.com/
>
>When I started beer brewing I ran across some of this information. I don't
>brew enough beer to use any of this but its worth looking into.
>
>Let us know how you are progressing. I may be able to provide some help though
>I have never tried anything of this nature.

>Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
>
>Biofuel archives at Infoarchive.net (searchable):
>http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential
and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you
are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or
retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this
e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thank You.