Actually, we are not hypocrites, but totally aware of what it takes to get factory meat to the table. People who name their animals generally treat their animals in a reasonable fashion. I am not going into details of how bad the factory process is this early in the morning, but there are far too many reported cases of animals being skinned alive, being forced to walk on broken legs and other tortures to support this kind of processing. Not to mention the feedlots and other disgusting tactics that are used on the poor animals.

My animals are raised to be food. That is why I have them. This does not stop me from scratching their ears, petting them and making their life as wonderful as possible while they are alive. I also thank each one of them for the gift of their life energy, before we kill them. This is not hypocrisy, but reality. I do not send my animals out to be slaughtered because I do not like the way the local processor treats the animals. I am taking responsibility for my food.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

At 08:27 PM 3/8/2005, you wrote:
on 3/8/05 5:30 AM, Kim & Garth Travis at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Yes, we turn vegetarian in public.  Our rule, if I don't
> know its name, I am not eating it.

I dunno -- sounds a little hypocritical (tho in general I
like your stuff. I'll think about this longer). Why eat
your friends at all? I have 13 birdies, and I eat chicken
or turkey maybe twice a week -- an I feel Sh**ty about it.
As soon as it's not PUT in front of me, I won't. It's so
wasteful, and each of those birdies would've PREFERRED to
live longer, even if they WERE conscientiously DISPATCHED.

-K