The San Joaquin Valley California lands and farms are
facing the same issues - urban pressure.  May we look
at other countries for some examples of how family
farms survived over many many generations?  Perhaps
others on this listserv can provide examples.  For
example, the California Yokut indigenous tribes of
Califonria survied for thousands of years in the
Central Valley basin of California.  Is it fair to
compare their ability to sustain over multiple
generations by living with nature VS the modern
society of mixed urban and agriculture and material
gain vs. other?

http://bss.sfsu.edu/calstudies/NativeWebPages/yokut%20page.html

Respectfully Submitted
Phillip Wolfe