Greetings listers,

Just thought I'd say a word or two about vegetarianism, being one who has survived quite well with such a diet. I think that the idea that many vegetarians can't stay healthy with a no-meat diet is somewhat outdated now.

I don't think the articles I posted links to yesterday are outdated:
http://wwia.org/pipermail/biofuel/Week-of-Mon-20050307/006741.html
[Biofuel] Cleaning Up Factory Farms

Current ideas about health and nutrition are shifting completely -- indeed, the entire standard "food pyramid" guide that we all grew up learning, with its bulwark of grains at the bottom, is being entirely reconsidered. For vegetarians of the past, their biggest problem was eliminating the major protein staples proffered by meat, which was a true problem. It was one of the first criticisms I received as a mid-teenager when I decided to go veggie, and I had to fight to convince certain of my family members that I could handle a vegetarian diet and still get the protein necessary.

Nowadays, there are lots more common options for getting excellent sources of protein: a suite of soy-based products, like soy seitan, tofu, "imitation" soy-based meats, cottage cheese, eggs, tempeh.

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/soydangers.html
Dangers of Soy Products
Tragedy and Hype
The Third International Soy Symposium
Far from being the perfect food, modern soy products contain antinutrients and toxins and they interfer with the absorption of vitamins and minerals.
Nexus Magazine, Volume 7, Number 3 (April-May 2000).
© 2000 by Sally Fallon
& Mary G. Enig, PhD

http://www.nutrition4health.org/NOHAnews/NNF01SoyBeatrice.htm
THE DOWNSIDE OF SOYBEAN CONSUMPTION
by Beatrice Trum Hunter, who is one of America's foremost food experts and an Honorary Member of NOHA. She is the Food Editor of Consumers' Research Magazine and the author of many books on food issues, including Food Additives and Federal Policy: The Mirage of Safety; The Great Nutrition Robbery; and her classic Natural Foods Cookbook. Soy consumption is being promoted vigorously. Despite many alleged benefits, there is a downside, which is being ignored.

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtsoy.html
Myths and Truths About Soy

Used judiciously, vegetarians can reap the benefits of an entirely balanced diet, without some of the associated health and ethical dilemmas of meat eating that often bother aspiring vegetarians: cholesterol problems;

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/oilingamerica.1.html
The Oiling of America - Part 1/2
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/oilingamerica.2.html
The Oiling of America - Part 2/2
Modern-day diets high in hydrogenated vegetable oils instead of traditional animal fats are implicated in causing a significant increase in heart disease and cancer.
Nexus Magazine, Volume 6, Number 1 (December 1998 - January 1999).
© 1998 by Mary G. Enig, PhD
© 1998 by Sally Fallon

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/benefits_cholest.html
The Benefits of High Cholesterol
By Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD
People with high cholesterol live the longest. This statement seems so incredible that it takes a long time to clear one«s brainwashed mind to fully understand its importance.

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/statin.html
Dangers of Statin Drugs: What You Haven't Been Told About Popular Cholesterol-Lowering Medicines
By Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, PhD

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny2.html
The Skinny on Fats
by Mary Enig, PhD, and Sally Fallon
Fats from animal and vegetable sources provide a concentrated source of energy in the diet; they also provide the building blocks for cell membranes and a variety of hormones and hormonelike substances. Fats as part of a meal slow down absorption so that we can go longer without feeling hungry. In addition, they act as carriers for important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Dietary fats are needed for the conversion of carotene to vitamin A, for mineral absorption and for a host of other processes.

http://www.price-pottenger.org/Articles/Case_for_butter.html
The Case for Butter
by Trauger Groh, Farmer and Lecturer
Butter and Honey shall He eat that He may know to refuse the evil and choose the good
-- Isaiah 7:15

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/margarine.html
THE MARGARINE HOAX
--Margarine, Fatty Acids and Your Health--
To maintain good health it is important that we have the correct intake of omega fatty acids in our diets. Hydrogenated fats like margarine are non-foods with toxic effects and should be avoided at any cost.
Nexus Magazine, Volume 4, #2 (February-March 1997).
by Dane A. Roubos, D.C. ©1995-97

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm
The Cholesterol Myths - some astonishing facts
by Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD

high fat levels in some meats; concerns over ethical farming/husbandry of animals; concerns over killing animals in general; concerns over the food distribution food problem in the world (by switching to a vegetable-based diet, more actual primary production farming goes to feed more people, whereas eating meat actually reduces the number of people fed because cattle and sheep and other animals consume far more green matter than is reaped via the animal itself).

You're looking at a splintered system - a non-system. In sustainable practice, eg, ley farming, for one among many, the one is not set against the other any more than they are in nature, they're complementary, interdependent. See: Ley Farming
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#ley

The grazing animals on the rotational ley not only provide high production of meat and dairy products, they also provide all the fertility required for the next four or five years, steadily spreading a thick layer of very high-quality natural compost over the entire farm.

In a rational operation, the livestock works, not just sits there and consumes. Pigs clear rough ground, plough it and manure it, ready for food production, chickens and poultry are useful workers far beyond the mere utility of the products they produce.

There's no either/or here, it's both/and.

There is also a huge world of supplements and vitamins out there that more than makes up for any potential vitamin/nutrient deficiencies lost from giving up meat.

I hope that continues to be the case:
http://wwia.org/pipermail/biofuel/Week-of-Mon-20050307/006641.html
[Biofuel] CODEX ALIMENTARIS ENDS U.S. SUPPLEMENTS IN JUNE 2005

In fact, the best Omega-3 sources come from fish -- and vegetarians can get molecularly distilled fish oil pills that also ensures no harmful trace elements, such as mercury, are getting into their bodies. Additionally, a Harvard study done recently

Can you give us a citation please? "Harvard study" can mean several different things - if it's the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis, that's just an industry front group.

testing for mercury levels in human hair pointed out that mercury can come from red meats just the same as fish. Those on vegetarian diets have far, far lower levels of mercury in their bodies than meat eaters (I know, I was tested and was well below the EPA reference number of 1.0).

One case? More information please.

Green foods supplements, antioxidants from tea and berries -- some of the highest sources of antioxidants anywhere -- cacao seeds, and other supplements can provide all the vitamins and more necessary for excellent health that most people arent' aware of, unless they've done a little bit of research.

Of course, I'm not opposed to people eating meat. I do believe humans evolved as omnivores -- and so I don't really believe the argument (which I've heard) that Homo sapiens was really originally an herbivore. But, someone here posted earlier that if you analyze the diets of our forebears, meat -- in general -- was not consumed nearly as regularly as grains, fruits, nuts and vegetables. It was a luxury item that our pre-human ancestors got every so often, and poor people even in today's world still often can't afford.

If you have not read the work of Weston A. Price you're really handicapped in these discussions. Traditional diets ranged all the way from not much meat to entirely meat, always accompanied by high health status (much higher than anything we can boast of) - but there is NO traditional vegetarian diet. All traditional peoples ate meat. This is not a matter oif opinion, Price was a fine and very thorough scientist, he produced massive evidence to support his findings. He cannot be refuted (but he can be ignored). Please see:
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price, 1939
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#price

Nature never attempts to raise crops without animals, and one reason for that is that the system winds down after a time, fertility resources and balance cannot be maintained without the contribution of the animal.

I also do believe in supporting sustainable, humane family farms, and will encourage my meat-eating friends and relatives to seek out those better sources for their meats. Factory farms are unnatural, cruel, and often invisible to the ordinary person shopping for meat in the grocery store, looking at nice, pert little packages of ready-wrapped meats. The connection with the animal and the hard fact of having to kill an animal to survive or eat meat is all but gone from the better part of society. I think if many people knew what happened behind factory farm doors, they would be appalled.

I fully agree.

So, I applaud those who are sensitive to the needs of animals, and who have that relationship. Many earlier human societies were the same way; killing an animal was done out of necessity, for survival.

And as part of the farming cycle, but never industrially as if they're just things, or numbers.

At any rate, not to blather on, but I just wanted to add my two cents, and point out that it's actually extremely easy to stay healthy today as vegetarians -- so long as vegetarians (or vegans) know how to do it right.

I think I agree with Kim - some can, most can't.

Best wishes

Keith

Fascinating discussion!

Best,