Hi,

I've been making Biodiesel (BD) for a few months, now.. using the Mike
Pelly method.. and a curious thing happened with the last batch (my batches
are in approx. 160 - 180 litres).. the glycerine was liquid after the
reaction. This is the first time this has occurred for me, all other times
the glycerine formed and settle in my tank, and was solid at low
temperatures.

I had measured accurately, the quantities of methanol, caustic soda and
volume of oil...( I had an interested observer, who can testify if
required!! :-)  ) I watched the colour of the mixture change, as I was
agitating, from a light caramel colour to a dark molasses colour... then
observed the glycerine start to settle, as expected. At this time the
glycerine was quite warm, so was still liquid, however, I let the mixture
settle for a 2 week period and the glycerine has not set firm. maybe I
should not complain.. 'cos it was easy to drain out of the tank! :-)

Did the reaction not go far enough?  Any further ideas on what has
happened??

regards,

Paul.