Hi All,

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe President Carter was the only
President to be an engineer. I recall him as having a degree in nuclear
engineering? True? He is also a great humanitarian.

Here's a quote from the "World's Finest Navy" site:

When Admiral Hyman G. Rickover (then captain) started his program to create nuclear powered submarines, Carter wanted to join the program and was interviewed by Rickover. On 1 June 1952, Carter was promoted to Lieutenant. Selected by Rickover, Carter was detached on 16 October 1952 from K-1 for duty with the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, Division of Reactor Development in Schenectady, New York. From 3 November 1952 to 1 March 1953, he served on temporary duty with the Naval Rersearch Branch, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, Washington D.C. to assist "in the design and development of nuclear propulsion plants for naval vessels."

From 1 March to 8 October, Carter was preparing to become the engineering officer for the nuclear power plant to be placed in USS Seawolf (SSN 575), one of the first submarines to operate on atomic power. He assisted in setting up and training for the enlisted men who would serve on Seawolf. During this time his father became very sick and died in July 1953. After his father's death, Carter resigned from the Navy to return to Georgia to manage the family interests. On 7 December 1961, he transferred to the retired reserve with the rank of Lieutenant at his own request.

As for being a humanitarian, I agree with you. He personifies his Christianity in a manner that many who claim to be followers of Christ would do well to emulate. However, he was not an effective leader as president, had a LOT of trouble and little success getting his policies through the Congress.

The "Carter Doctrine", which essentially defines the Middle East as an area of strategic importance to the United States, has been subsequently used to justify various military actions in the region. Interestingly, I remember the wide perception of Mr. Carter as weak while he was president because he seemed reluctant to utilize the demoralized U.S. military (which was still reeling from Vietnam) as an instrument of policy. The failed hostage rescue in Iran underscored the perception of military impotence that led one of Iran's diplomats to characterize America as a "paper tiger". (I wonder if the Iranian leadership would say that now.)

When Mr. Reagan came to office, the HUGE increase in "defense" spending squandered the opportunity to make good on progress Mr. Carter began in directing the nation away from its addiction to foreign energy supplies. We would be in much better shape now if Mr. Carter's energy policies had not been discarded by a president whose idea of conservation was "shivering in the dark."

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=9782>