Keith Addison wrote:

Hello Robert

Thanks for this, nice read!

You're welcome. I thought things were sounding a bit grim on this forum lately!

Too much reality? It does tend to be a bit grim at times.

Equisetum arvense?

Yes, that's the one. It's toxic to colts and lambs when it's dry. I've read that its tubers store food reserves, which, coupled with an extensive creeping rhizome system, makes the plant very persistent. I've dug up rhizome leads better than a meter in length, but the plant will regenerate from even a tiny bit of root left in the ground. Thank God the fertile stems don't remain active for very long!

        Interestingly, equisetum arvense has medicinal uses.

It's widely used in traditional medicine. Also, it says here, "Romans always used horsetail to clean their pots and pans, not just to make them clean but also, thanks to the silica, to make them nonstick. In the Middle Ages it was used as an abrasive by cabinetmakers, to clean pewter, brass, and copper, and for scouring wood containers and milk pans... This herb has been associated with various goblins, toads and snakes, and the devil."

I guess you'll agree with the devil bit. :-)

Actually it said "in the Meddle Ages", LOL! But that'd be now, not then.

The dried herb aids in the treatment of urinary and prostatic disease, repair of lung and pulmonary tissue, among others, but its high inorganic silica content makes ingestion dangerous for children.

Ancient plant. Midori picked a whole bunch of them two days ago and stir-fried the tops according to Japanese traditional practice. Not bad!

My loving wife, who is a very good cook, wrinkled her nose when I told her you'd written this.

Give it a try, the shoots are tender, good! Makes a good medicinal tea too.

Horsetails indicate acid soil and drainage problems.

This is certainly our situation. It rains a lot in this climate, and acidic soil loving blueberries grow well here.

Probably it's acid because of the poor drainage.

When we built our house, the excavator removed 17 loads of soil from our property, leaving us in a sea of grey colored muck; a perennially wet clay in which very little that's useful to us will grow. We stopped several trucks that were removing dirt from the properties around us and asked them to dump their loads back on our lot, simply so we could get proper landscaping done. (And worse, we got a bill from the excavators for taking our dirt away!) Now, as the area around us develops, the same thing is happening on other properties.

The trouble is they so often mix up topsoil with subsoil. Of course they shouldn't remove it at all. Wantonly destroying topsoil has to be a mortal sin, IMO.

Right now, we have a very lumpy front yard, mostly in grass, that is doing marginally well. Our front flower beds are flourishing, but we've conditioned the soil extensively with barn litter and compost, so we have very little trouble with horsetail at the front of the house. I had a vision for the western slope of our property that involved a combination of fruit trees, shrubs, evergreens and aspens that was supposed to provide shade as well as food. (Our house gets very hot during the summer because we're a corner lot and there is NO shade around us during the long daylight period. R 50 ceilings trap heat very nicely!) After grading by hand (agonizingly) to minimize run off (which had been a REAL problem when we first moved in), we planted the trees, shrubs and covered the ground with cedar bark mulch in the hope that creeping ground cover would eventually occupy the slope. So far, the creepers we've planted have hardly taken a foothold.

        This is where our horsetail problem is dominant.

The north end of our property is the sunniest place during the growing season. This is where we've built four raised beds and where our crops of lettuce, cabbage, beets, purple beans, broccoli and carrots thrived last summer. On the eastern side of our driveway, a long, narrow strip of land serves as our area for corn, squash, potatoes, eggplant and other large plants. It's been extensively worked, the topsoil there is about half a meter deep, and it's literally crawling with living things!

        Horsetail doesn't grow there.

We subsoiled one of our fields today, thin layer of topsoil over really sticky clay, with, indeed, severe drainage problems. Tomorrow we'll compost it and rotavate it lightly, since we can't lay our hands on a disk harrow. Then what would be ideal would be a deep-rooting grass mixture and a two-year ley, heavily grazed by livestock, along with several hay cuts. But we don't have the grass mixture either, nor can we get anything suitable here, but we'll do what we can.

Getting a thick layer of well drained topsoil seems key to controlling the horsetail.

Key to just about everything. You can build it from nothing - what you start with is just the raw material, you can turn any soil into rich topsoil, even a heavy clay subsoil when all the topsoil's gone.

We can't have grazing animals here because we're in a subdivision, though I've thought of miniature goats or miniature horses.

How about Dexters? Nobody takes them seriously because they're so small, they're regarded as pets, but they're excellent cattle.
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_animal.html
Farming with animals

I wouldn't have anything to do with goats, soil destroyers, and horses on their own are not good for pastures.

Have a look at this Robert:

Ley Farming
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#ley

This is the key to it all.

I have to come up with a better solution for our western slope than the one I planned originally because I'm a slave to weeding right now. At present, my home business isn't exactly thriving, so I have the time to work outside. I'm hoping, however, that things will pick up soon. . .

I've solved this problem before without subsoiling, just by growing weeds. I had the best weeds in the valley, taller than me! Sunn hemp, it ended up being at the end of the succession, and it sure fixed the drainage problem, excellent field that was, though it was useless at first.

My neighbors ALREADY think I'm crazy. If I start growing hemp, that would remove all doubt!

:-) It's not that kind of hemp, nothing to do with cannabis, and it doesn't look like cannabis.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996/v3-389.html
Crotalaria juncea: A Potential Multi-Purpose Fiber Crop

It's a legume and fixes a helluva lot of N. Nice plant. Weed, you know. LOL!

Yes! There's nothing better. I was reading someone who said that any health problems that don't vanish after a day's gardening should be taken seriously. I think you have to add the mind and the spirit to that too.

        I agree.  There's something very cathartic about working with the soil.

We got out the old Yanmar rotavator (two-wheeled tractor) to work the subsoiled field, after Midori (helped by the chickens) covered it with a couple of inches of compost, and quite a lot of wood ash. You have to be careful with wood ash and clay, it can help to compact the clay, but this will be fine with the compost, and it needs the calcium and potassium. The Yanmar's old, about 25 years or so, a diesel, made to run on fuel oil. There are a lot of them round here but most people use tractors now. We have a tractor too, but that's the next job, or one of them... We checked the Yanmar over, topped up the oil, filled it with biodiesel, unjammed the water drain, filled with hot water, topped up the oil in the air filter, sprayed some WD40 into the air intake, I cranked it and it started first time, nice! Just as well, I haven't got any puff at all since I was in hospital, slowly getting it back but no use pushing it. So Midori's rotavating the field now. She's used these old machines before, but had to get used to it again - hilarious when it tipped up on its nose on that rough ground and left little Midori dangling in the air from the grips! But she quickly got the hang of it, doing a nice job. It'll be good, that field. Yeah, that's right, she does all the work, or most of it - she's the one who's learning, it's the only way.

Cathartic? Hm, maybe - the biodiesel helps, no filthy diesel fumes, very uncathartic!

For them that hasn't noticed:

http://journeytoforever.org/garden.html
Organic gardening: Journey to Forever

That's the best part of the site for those of us who don't do biodiesel and can't legally distill ethanol.

Agh! For me it's the best part of it anyway. Boring old biodiesel! :-)

Regards

Keith

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"