Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2001 18:53
An: biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com
Betreff: [biofuels-biz] Re: which vehicles can run unmodified on
biodiesel?

Rubbers are definitely affected. Even the (supposedly) chemical
resistant silicone rubber goes hard in biodiesel. However, I believe
that injection pump shaft seals will never be made from rubber - it's
not got the mechanical properties and ages much faster than plastics.
Ancient VW diesel are running about happily on biodiesel. Yes they
have new fuel pipes, but that's about all. Even if they weren't so
old, VW would never warrant them for the fuel, but nobody told the
cars :)

As Keith says, manufacturer warranty is however a problem for
commercial producers. I see our immediate market lying with
commercial vehicles and busses that are out of warranty.

Most post 1995 VW's are OK and they already offer conversion kits for
the others. Eventually, the other vehicle makers will catch up.

Dave

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Let me rephrase my question ....... which vehicles don't need
their fuel lines or pump seals changing?

> Hi Paddy and all
>
> Let me rephrase it one more - which vehicles DO need their fuel
lines and/or pump seals changes?

> Businesses producing or selling biodiesel and lobby groups like the
> NBB have to take possible liabilities and warranties into account,
> but DIYers only have themselves to worry about and are prolly more
> enterprising. Thousands of people all over the world are making and
> using their own biodiesel. So far I haven't heard of a single case
> of it actually happening. I have heard of old vehicles, which are
much
> more likely to have rubber parts, running for thousands of miles on
> biodiesel without problems. I've also heard of vehicles having
> problems from using unwashed biodiesel, but that's different.
>
> So, do we have any real evidence that it really happens? Are there
> any known cases?
>
> Apart from that, this might be useful - "Durability of Various
> Plastics: Alcohols vs. Gasoline", see Methanol:

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me2.ht
ml#table

> Best
>
> Keith Addison