in answer to:

Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: [biofuels-biz] WVO based Biz Plan

Ultimatly I'm looking at having an extruder on the property and processing
the oil myself. This is still a very experimental part of the plan at this
time. I need to learn more about oil extrusion and daily operating cost and
volumes. The ultimate purpose of this whole project is to bring the profits
closer to home for the farmers and keep my cost low.

*yes, definitely. the india has developed all sort of small to medium size extruders for oil extraction, which are available at very affordable prices. good solid engineering, and excellent quality.

you might want to contact CMERI (they have a web page) that is the gvt. org behind all these designs.

farmers in argentina processing their own hybrid (black) sunflower seed, have a final biodiesel net cost of well under u$s 0.20 a litre (u$s 0.76 a us gallon), which compares favourably with diesel fuel's u$s 0.60 a litre (u$s 2.27 a us gallon) retail price.

I currently have my recovery cost figured for WVO at $.25 (USD) per gallon.
Ester treatment at ~$.65 per gallon plus distribution cost.
(This cost include the use of a methane recovery machine.)
bit high, it would seem. what sort of price are you expecting for your glycerol ? how many kWh per gallon ?

maybe you need an efficient transesterification plant like ours !!!

I'm still trying to find current solid figures for VVO. If you have any
please forward them to me or point me in the right direction. Also where
would one go to purchase a few tankers worth of VVO?

buying oil is like buying a shirt. all sorts of colours and qualities. figure on a low of u$s 250.00,  and a high of u$s 450.00, per metric tonne. look in the yellow pages as a good starting point. you might want to import direct.

and remember, oil need not be edible, or deodorized, or a nice colour, to make biodiesel. as a matter of fact some of the best bio we've made used castor bean oil. guatemala jatropha oil should be cheap and make good biod.

Is anyone on this list already in commercial production. If so do you have a
gas chromo on your premises are have your contracted with lab to do your
testing. I'm not liscensed to fly one of those things, just curious to see
how ASTM standards are met.

some of our clients are in commercial production, but they mix bio with fossil because of the rubber problems (we have a lot of old trucks and tractors still making the rounds here), usually no more than 20 %. they check for water content (wife's oven will do), pH, density, and shine a light through it.

everybody is carrying on about astm and e-din standards. but few mention dieselfuel standards. if you tried to sell usa made dieselfuel in japan you would be ilegal, not meeting their cetane ratings. plus a few other parameters.

and astm biodiesel made from certain feedstocks, such as soy oil, will not meet the iodine index required by the european community proposed standards, which are based on processing sunflower and rapeseed feedstocks.

there's so much political horse manure flying around with this 'standards' discussion that people lose sight of biodiesel's great accomplishment, which is freedom from fossil fuel monopolies.

to circumvent this we have re-named biod 'aditol', and market our plants as 'aditol processing plants'. aditol comes from 'add', meaning we promote biod as an additive, rather than an outright fuel. saves an awfull lot of hassle tax wise too !!!

so the question to ask, methinks, would be : what are the standards for b-20 ?

shift the proof to the guys making 80 % of the fuel, not to the ones making 20 %, what ?

as nike says, ' (let's) just do it'.

keep up the good work !! cheers, dick.

everybody's invited to join the <sipping> hall of fame. this is a public service message.

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm