So far, this is what we've had from GMOs, as far as biofuels are concerned:

http://www.safe2use.com/ca-ipm/01-02-05-study.htm
GM Bacteria could destroy all life on earth - Report

Klebsiella planticola--The Gene-Altered Monster That Almost Got Away

The Deadly Genetically Engineered Bacteria that Almost Got Away: A
Cautionary Talle

Web Note: In the early 1990s a European genetic engineering company
was preparing to field test and then commercialize on a major scale a
genetically engineered soil bacteria called Klebsiella planticola.
The bacteria had been tested--as it turns out in a careless and very
unscientific mannner--by scientists working for the biotech industry
and was believed to be safe for the environment. Fortunately a team
of independent scientists, headed by Dr. Elaine Ingham of Oregon
State University, decided to run their own tests on the gene-altered
Klebsiella planticola. What they discovered was not only startling,
but terrifying-- the biotech industry had created a biological
monster--a genetically engineered microorganism that would kill all
terrestrial plants. After Ingham's expose, of course the gene-altered
Klebsiella planticola was never commercialized. But as Ingham points
out, the lack of pre-market safety testing of other genetically
altered organisms virtually guarantees that future biological
monsters will be released into the environment. Moreover it's not
only genetic engineering that poses a mortal threat to our soil
ecology, the soil food web, as Ingham calls it. Chemical-intensive
agriculture is slowly but surely poisoning our soil and our drinking
water as well.

The purpose of the thing was to convert cellulose plant residue to
alcohol. Unfortunately it converted living plants to alcohol as well.

This is a good example - there's certainly a need for better
cellulose-to-alcohol technology, and biotech should be able to
provide excellent solutions. But instead we get this really bad
science - sloppy, careless, arrogant, and VERY STUPID.

Regarding what I said about corporate spin, have a look at this to
see what happened to Dr Ingham:

http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/gm/gm.jsp?id=22801100
New Scientist | GM Foods | The accused
The accused - Is the biotech industry trying to silence one of its
outspoken critics?

SUPPORTERS of the biotech industry have accused an American scientist
of misconduct after she testified to the New Zealand government that
a genetically modified bacterium could wreak havoc if released...
"They're trying to cause trouble with my university and get me
fired," Ingham told New Scientist.
[more]

The New Scientist is not sensationalist and Ingham's not being
paranoid - remember what happened to Arpad Pusztai.

Also:
http://ngin.tripod.com/deceit_index.html
SEEDS OF DISSENT: Anti-GM scientists are facing widespread assaults on
their credibility - who is behind the attacks?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4412987,00.html
 From the Guardian .....
The fake persuaders
Corporations are inventing people to rubbish their opponents on the internet

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gmdebate/Story/0,2763,723926,00.html
Guardian Unlimited
Corporate Phantoms - The Web of Deceit Over GM Food

We should trustingly put the future of our food supplies and our
environment into the hands of these scumbags? And if we have our
doubts then we're Luddites, standing in the way of "science"? LOL!

Somebody who's currently eating humble pie over just this issue is
one Tony Blair, and quite right too. It's most delightful to see all
the spin and lies blowing up in their faces. There are still a few
honest journalists around.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gmdebate/Story/0,2763,726540,00.html
Guardian Unlimited
Green lobby forces Blair into rethink over GM

So, amid all this excrement, when are we likely to get a real GMO to
convert cellulose for us, without killing everything? Fat chance of
any real science emerging from this disgusting mess.

Best

Keith

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX