Hello Chuck

>Strictly from the standpoint of efficiency, growing a plant that produced an
>acceptable yield of fuel for diesel engines without processing any further
>than extraction and filtering is nearly ideal.
>We do need people hanging around with a healthy dose of skepticism, but
>running away from the future because some aspects of that future appear to
>carry risks is worse than plunging blindly forward without heed of the
>consequences.

That's NOT what we're doing. I am not against genetic engineering - I
am against genetic engineering in the hands of the current players,
who have a VERY bad record at such things, with virtually nothing to
redeem it. Genetic engineering in itself is a most promising
technology. My fear is not only that great damage will be caused by
the current highly irresponsible initiatives but that the future of
the technology might thus be ruined. My fears are being amply
realised day by day, I'm very sorry to say.

A large portion of the world sees it just the same way. These are not
over-emotional fears based on scare-mongering, as some try to paint
them, they're very often well-informed views, despite much corporate
spin which attempts to confuse the issue, often successfully. Many of
the nay-sayers are themselves scientists, many of whom have changed
sides from pro to con. More and more scientists are doing that.

> Genetic engineering  has been going on since that monk,
>whats-his-name, was messing around with peas in his garden, even before
>that.

That is not true. His name was Mendel. Plant breeding is quite
different to genetic engineering. The two have almost nothing in
common. Read the definition Ed just posted. Neither Mendel, nor the
hundreds of generations of careful farmer breeders before him and
since who have given us our range of food crops - all very different
from their wild originals - have not practised genetic engineering.

>We have been cross-breeding, hybridizing, and culling herds and crops
>for desirable traits since before recorded history.  Its just that now we've
>advanced to the stage that we can do it with tremendous efficiency at the
>direct genetic level.

You're quite wrong, on both counts. For the first, see above. For the
second, there's very little efficiency involved. Check out your facts
first. It's not an efficient process, it's highly random. Claims that
the results are known and reliable have in all cases so far proven
wrong. The effects - the GMO crops themselves - have not performed as
claimed, and have behaved as it was promised they would not. Not
efficient, bad science, bad technology.

>Monitor the progress, give those who are concerned a
>public forum, and let normal human progress take its course.

This is not normal human progress, this is corporate irresponsibility.

>As a student of western civilization, I can tell you that, historically,
>cultures that turn their backs, or try to stop social, or scientific
>progress, marginalize themselves, ceding the forefront to other cultures
>that are willing to embrace the future.

Stopping scientific progress is one thing, giving an unrestricted
green light to unproven technology that is at best half-baked quite
another.

>I am not flaming anyone here, I respect the cynic and the critic, we need
>you to balance the science-as-a-god crowd on the other end of the spectrum.
>But, please, accept the possibility that your opinions are just that;
>opinions.  It is possible for someone equally well informed to disagree with
>you without being evil.

These are not opinions. If you want solid references I'll give them
to you. I wonder, though, if you can do the same. From my view of the
subject, I doubt it.

>I'm sorry this got so, long, I just didn't want to see another tangential
>flame war fire up.  I hope I haven't caused one.

We can have a discussion, we can have an argument, we can even get
heated about it, no problem, it only becomes a flame war when it goes
beyond that into a personal slanging match, which I trust won't
happen.

>Oh, we're talking to the local economic development people about building a
>BD plant right here, using WVO as feedstock.

Good for you!

Best wishes

Keith

>Chuck R.