You forgot to mention, that the production of hydrogen is an enery sink,

i. e. for the production of 1 kW of Hydrogen enery you need 1,5 kW of
traditional (nuclear, fossil, sun) energy.

You better use that energy directly.

Reinhard Henning

"Keith Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> Forward from the stoves list at Crest.

> >From: "Tom Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Hydrogen Economy greatly overrated, biomass underrated...
> >Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:18:03 -0600
> >
> >Dear All Biomassers:
> >
> >The message below from my good friend Tom Milne, Bob Evans and all
> >anouncing a new report on hydrogen needs to be put in context.
> >Speaking as a fuel scientist, I hope I may be permitted a personal
> >diatribe in this forum.  If you are emotionally convinced that
> >hydrogen is the world's best fuel, and wish to stay convinced,
> >                                                                ~~~~~~~~~
> >HYDROGEN has been known and used since the early part of the 19th
> >century.  It is easy to make in the laboratory from iron and HCL or
> >by electrolysis.
> >
> >Hydrogen is unique amongst the elements with outstandingly good and
> >bad properties.
> >
> >As a fuel it has the highest Mass Energy Density of any fuel by a
> >large margin, so liquid hydrogen isn't too bad a fuel if you can
> >afford the cost and keep it well insulated.  As a gas it also has a
> >very low Volume energy density (same as CO, 1/3 that of methane).
> >It is an important component of synthesis gas (CO + H2) and producer
> >gas (CO + H2 + N2).
> >
> >Hydrogen also has a flame velocity (2.83 m/s in air compared to .5
> >m/s for methane, propane etc.).  For this reason it is a difficult
> >automotive fuel, since stoichiometric combustion produces "hydrogen
> >knock".  However, it has the widest flamability limits so can be
> >burned very lean for better efficiency.
> >
> >Another hydrogen problem I haven't heard discussed is that it
> >contracts chemically 1/3 on burning according to
> >
> >H2 + 1/2 O2 [1.5 moles or voumes] ===> H2O [1 mole]
> >
> >by contrast, methane gets full value, since     CH4 + 2 O2 [3 moles]
> >===> CO2 + 2 H2O [3moles]
> >
> >~~~~~~~
> >Hydrogen is an important chemical for converting vegetable oils to
> >margarine etc. and is widely used in large chemical plants.
> >Electrolysis of water to make hydrogen is only 72% efficient (due to
> >high overvoltage), and conversion of heat to electricity is
> >typically 30% efficient, so electrolysis is 18% base efficiency.
> >Hydrogen can be made from methane and hydrocarbons using steam
> >reforming and the water gas shift reaction - probably 80% efficient.
> >
> >So for 150 years pure hydrogen was only used by quartz workers.
> >However, many gases, including our producer gas, can contain large
> >fractions of hydrogen - 18% in our current producer gas at CPC.
> >
> >~~~~~~~~
> >So how has hydrogen risen so high in research circles as a target fuel?
> >
> >It all started with "The Hydrogen Economy" about 1970.  At that time
> >we were naively told that nuclear electric power would be too cheap
> >to meter in a short time (Ha!).  But you can't run a car on
> >electricity so we would still need a "fuel tank".  Since power had
> >no cost, hydrogen from water would have no cost!  Voila.  I remember
> [...]

bagani GbR, Reinhard Henning, Rothkreuz 11, D-88138 Weissensberg, Germany
Tel: ++49 8389 984129, Fax: 984128, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
internet: www.bagani.de

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM