Hi all,

Keith asked me offlist for directions for the acid number determination.
Here's the info, forwarded from an offlist exchange I had with Todd
Swearingen a few weeks ago, about this and other quality standards stuff...
Mark

>Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:55:01 -0400
>

>Maria,
>
>Looking at the ASTM standards as the benchmark for home brewers,
>most of the standards can be met simply by preparing and washing
>the fuel well.
>
>A) Flash point (130*C minimum) will be relatively consistent for
>all feedstocks, presuming reaction completion and the alcohol is
>removed. If the alcohol is distilled or washed out this is a
>non-problem.
>B) Water and sediment (0.050 maximum % by volume) are
>non-problems with adequate settling times, filtration and fuel
>reheating to ~120*F. (I don't suggest adding any acid to clear
>fuel haze, as this will increase the acid number.)
>C) Free glycerin (0.020 maximum % by mass)  is removed and is a
>non-problem with adequate settling time and washing.
>D) Total glycerin (0.240 maximum % by mass) is reduced to nil and
>is a non-problem if sufficient reaction time is permitted (mono-,
>di- and tri-glycerides are all cracked), sufficient caustic is
>used (not excess, as this can raise the acid number by cracking
>methyl esters back to FFAs) and sufficient settling time is
>given.
>E) Kinematic viscosity (1.9 - 6.0 mm2/s at 40*C) will also be a
>non-problem if the total glycerin content (Items C & D) has been
>resolved and the acid number is not elevated by imprudent use of
>caustic, causing back cracking of esters to FFAs (higher
>viscosity than B-100).
>F) Sulfated ash (0.020 % by mass) is a non-controllable when
>using straight base, as the only sulfur in the equation is
>derived from the parent feedstock. When using an acid/base
>process the sulfuric acid used in the esterification step is
>neutralized by the base. The resulting salt is soluble in the
>water wash and should be a non-problem with proper washing.
>G) Sulfur (0.05% maximum by mass) - see Item F.  B-100 is
>essentially sulfur free.
>H) Phosphorous content (0.001% maximum by mass) is a
>non-controllable relative to the parent animal or plant feedstock
>and is a non-problem beyond that as long as phosphoric acid is
>not used to clear fuel haze. Phosphoric acid can also increase
>the acid number (acid + FFAs). This is why either adequate
>settling times, and slightly warmed fuel are the better options
>for clearing fuel.
>I) Acid number (0.80 maximum milligrams of KOH per gram of fuel)
>will remain low if acids are not added to the fuel either pre,
>post or during washes (either to "ease washing"(?) or clear fuel
>haze) and if caustic is not used in excess, which causes higher
>numbers of esters to break down to FFAs.
>
>Other standards, such as distillation temperature, copper strip
>corrosion, cetane number and cloud point are for all practical
>intents and purposes properties that will fall within ASTM
>standard if the fuel is prepared and washes are conducted
>properly.

> [...]

ˇFREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/9bTolB/TM