One of the ideas mentioned in the oft-mentioned Taken-for-a-Ride by Doyle is
that Bush Sr. did seem somewhat to support Ethanol, as has seemingly Bush Jr.
While ethanol proponents will argue that Political Support of "Big Ethanol" does
not amount to competent support of ethanol in general, I think that generally
the Bushes seem to at least want to support ethanol to the extent they can win
Midwestern votes.  I don't know how to guage whether they've been good
supporters of the general biofuel cause.  I personally would initially say no.

A major theme in Doyle's book is that in the various stages of the clean air
wars, the Oil Companies and Refiners and auto companies would be under years of
pressure to improve things, would constantly cry that they were being treated
unfairly and the technology could not be forced, and so on, and then, lo and
behold at the 11th hour they'd come out that indeed they might be able to come
out with some previously non-doable or never-mentioned-thing, like Reformulated
Gas.  I mention it here because in my view the Oil company arguments that they
would be better off with RFG rather than oxygenated gasoline were another
example of this last-minute "we have a *better* solution" idea.  This idea of
mine is mitigated by a conversation I had with an official who as part of a team
on behalf of Cal. taxpayers had flown to the Midwest, tried to research things,
etc.

My extremely imperfect recollection is that his belief (not the official belief
of the team, just his informal comments to me) was that in some ways, if clean
air was the goal, that there is an argument for both RFG or Ethanol, but that
ethanol had limited value and was, in his words, an older technology.

I, personally, think it was *extremely* important to get some steady inclusion
of ethanol in our gasoline.  The oil refiners and companies have it good enough.
Let them sell us some of this other much-touted stuff, and let's see how it
goes.  So far, it seems like it is going *much* more smoothly than we were all
lead to believe with the doomsday predictions of the WSPA et. al. for the damage
this would supposedly cause our pocketbooks.  There was also some very obscure
claim I heard once as to supposed bad effects to the air from ethanol mixture
use, and I have heard nothing locally recently about setbacks in progress toward
clean air from ethanol or otherwise.  So, everything seems to be going pretty
well for some ethanol mixture use in one of the world's more watched driving
markets.  At least, if anything is going awry, it has not yet been covered that
I'm aware.

I'd like to keep my eye out for confirmation as to your statements about 76
using 15% and the other gasoline stations staying with the end-of-2003
guidelines.  The 76 use I do believe, I was just keeping in mind that their pump
stickers say it "might" include ethanol.

I was disappointed to still see the MTBE stickers on one of the other big
stations I was recently in.  Don't recall which company it was.

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:55:28 -0000, you wrote:

>Union 76 were the first California company to switch from MTBE to
>Ethanol (I believe that they use 15% ethanol).  By now most other
>companies have also switched and the rest will be using ethanol as
>their oxygenate by the end of this year.
>
>California asked for a waiver from using an oxygenate as gasoline can
>be produced that burns just a cleanly without it.  However, the Bush
>administration said no.  In this case I think I agree as this does
>also help reduce dependence on foreign oil.

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm
List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech: