Hello Bruce

>Keith,
>
>From the bits.  My orientation is cautious capitalist;
>a curious blend of 7 parts libertarian with 2 parts
>conservative, and 1 part social liberal.  Strange brew
>I suppose.  But I strongly believe in the individual
>versus the "social collective."

Each needs the other, IMO, and in my experience as well. I think the
either/or of it only applies at the extremes. Another example of the
extreme polarization of America? Think I should add that when I say
"in my experience as well" it's objective, not subjective, an
observation, not clouded by personal circumstances - I don't "belong"
to anything, never have. I don't even have a home, a family, a
country, I don't belong to any community, and I don't even feel that
I'm lacking those things.

>And I agree with you, broad brush on all and every
>isn't the way to go.  But it's an easy trap to fall
>into and sometimes I sin.

Ah yes, don't we all.

>That said; from over 15 years experience in mid-to
>senior management with investor owned utilities I was
>witness to egregious politics on both sides of the
>fence.
>
>That said however, often times it was the hard core
>environmentalist that often played the part of
>obstructionists to pratically anything constructive or
>any compromise.  That only comes from my experience
>"in theater" if you will.
>
>I agree there are good and sincere folks on either
>side of the fence - however, from experience I know
>that many in the senior management of the large
>environmental groups have compromised with the big
>energy interests.
>
>The worker bees at the lower levels of either side's
>organizations are truly where the heart and soul is of
>the matter - both groups would love nothing more than
>to compromise and get on with solutions - not
>politics.

Hm... I don't like the big groups, generally, with some exceptions.
I've worked with and for most of them, so I know them quite well. I
think small, local groups do much better, but they don't get their
fair share because the big groups tend to shoulder them aside. But
there IS a definite role for the big groups which small groups can't
fill, other than through coalitions maybe.

The problem with all this is that you have to be really careful in
criticizing them that you don't fall into the anti-environmentalist
trap set by the "Wise Use" and think-tank spin merchants, which has
been very effective and is basically dishonest. This is where the
real problem lies, of which corrupted environment groups are but a
symptom.

I was specifically interested in what you said about Greenpeace and
big energy interests. Links between big business and the big
environment groups are well-known. For instance (I've posted this
previously):

Stauber: Big environmental organizations, socially responsible
investment funds, and other groups perpetuate the myth that if we
just write checks to them, they'll heal the environment, reform the
corrupt campaign-finance system, protect our freedom of speech, and
reign in corporate power. This is a dangerous falsehood, because it
implies that we don't have to sweat and struggle to make democracy
work. It's so much easier to write a check for twenty-five or fifty
dollars than it is to integrate our concerns about critical issues
into our daily lives and organize with our neighbors for democracy.

Many so-called public-interest organizations have become big
businesses, multinational nonprofit corporations. The PR industry
knows this and exploits it well with the type of co-optation
strategies that Duchin recommends.

Jensen: This seems especially true of big environmental groups.

Stauber: E. Bruce Harrison, one of the most effective
public-relations practitioners in the business, knows that all too
well. He's made a lucrative career out of helping polluting companies
defeat environmental regulations while simultaneously giving the
companies a "green" public image. In the industry, they call him the
"Dean of Green." As a longtime opponent of the environmental
movement, Harrison has developed some interesting insights into its
failures. He says, "The environmental movement is dead. It really
died in the last fifteen years, from success." I think he's correct.
What he means is that, in the eighties and nineties, environmentalism
became a big business, and organizations like the Audubon Society,
the Wilderness Society, the National Wildlife Federation, the
Environmental Defense Fund, and the Natural Resources Defense Council
became competing multi-million-dollar bureaucracies. These
organizations, Harrison says, seem much more interested in "the
business of greening" than in fighting for fundamental social change.
He points out, for instance, that the Environmental Defense Fund
(whose executive director makes a quarter of a million dollars a
year) sat down and cut a deal with McDonald's that was probably worth
hundreds of millions of dollars in publicity to the fast-food giant,
because it helped to "greenwash" its public image.

Jensen: How so?

Stauber: After years of being hammered by grass-roots
environmentalists for everything from deforestation to inhumane
farming practices to contributing to a throwaway culture, McDonald's
finally relented on something: it did away with its styrofoam
clamshell hamburger containers. But before the company did this, it
entered into a partnership with the Environmental Defense Fund and
gave that group credit for the change. Both sides "won" in the
ensuing PR lovefest. McDonald's took one little step in response to
grass-roots activists, and the Environmental Defense Fund claimed a
major victory.

Another problem is that big green groups have virtually no
accountability to the many thousands of individuals who provide them
with money. Meanwhile, the grass-roots environmental groups are
starved of the hundreds of millions of dollars that are raised every
year by these massive bureaucracies. Over the past two decades,
they've turned the environmental move-ment's grass-roots base of
support into little more than a list of donors they hustle for money
via direct-mail appeals and telemarketing.

It's getting even worse, because now corporations are directly
funding groups like the Audubon Society, the Wilderness Society, and
the National Wildlife Federation. Corporate executives now sit on the
boards of some of these groups. PR executive Leslie Dach, for
instance, of the rabidly anti-environmental Edelman PR firm, is on
the Audubon Society's board of directors. Meanwhile, his PR firm has
helped lead the "wise use" assault on environmental regulation.

Corporations and public-relations firms hire so-called activists and
pay them large fees to work against the public interest. For
instance, Carol Tucker Foreman was once the executive director of the
Consumer Federation of America, a group that itself takes corporate
dollars. Now she has her own lucrative consulting firm and works for
companies like Monsanto and Proctor & Gamble, pushing rBGH and
promoting the fake fat Olestra, which has been linked to bowel
problems. She also works with other public-interest pretenders like
the Washington, D.C.-based organization Public Voice, which takes
money from agribusiness and food interests and should truthfully be
called Corporate Voice.

- From "War On Truth - The Secret Battle for the American Mind", An
Interview with John Stauber, Published in "The Sun", March 1999
http://www.mediaisland.org/thewarontruth.html

See also:

http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=44&row=1
Fill your lungs it's only borrowed grime

http://www.nonprofitwatch.org/ballona/summary.html
NRDC Corrupt: Ballona Wetlands Sold Out -- Environmentalism on the Take

http://www.counterpunch.org/sclaw.html
Sierra Club Law Firm Linked to Polluters

http://www.sacbee.com/static/archive/news/projects/environment/index02.html
Environment, Inc.

Etc etc.

>As for Greenpeace:  I will dig around (in my unusally
>large piles of files) and find the remarks and
>comments of the founder of Greenpeace regarding what
>he considers the "compromise" of that organization
>with big energy interests.

Paul Watson?

>You and I have something here in common; we both
>require chapter and verse.  I appreciate that very
>much.  I require my students to provide citations of
>chapter and verse for their premise on issues.

:-) We have to keep each other honest, eh? You'd do the same for me.

>Again I appologize for what appears to be broad brush
>treatment of the growing relationship between big
>corporate energy and the environmental movement.
>
>I will over the near term dig up the paper trail
>(follow the money) linking the large environmental
>NGO's with the large corporate energy interests.
>
>This as I stated occurs at the upper levels of the org
>management - not the "boots on the ground" level.
>
>Unfortunately, politics usually gets in the way of
>solutions.
>
>My experience has been that the larger the
>organization in terms of political and financial
>capital, the less interested they are in actually
>achieving solutions, and the more interested they are
>in spending years upon "making progress" and "working
>on solutions".

And in fund-raising.

>Keeps them in business -

Yes indeed. I note you don't specify "environmental" organizations,
and I agree with that - we've been most successfully sold on the idea
that big means more professional, more efficient, better, when it
quite obviously doesn't, you can see that instinctively, and that's
almost always borne out in practice - big all too often means less
efficient, more wasteful, less effective, more stupid.

"Small-scale capitalism works out fine, but as scale increases the
departure from real capitalism becomes more pronounced---profits are
privatized, but costs are socialized. The attendant repair and
maintenance are left to succeeding generations if possible, if not,
to present low and middle income taxpayers." - Tvo

There's a role for "big", unbeautiful though it be, but there have to
be tight reins on it, at ground level, that pull it up very far short
of the rampant corporatism that's now deemed normal, and "good". It
doesn't get to buy elections, and governments, and courts, for
instance. Nor "rights".

All this applies to the big environment groups too, but it's not
specific to them.

Best

Keith

> [...]
> > and a twisted morality." This was the thin end of a
> > wedge aimed at
> > all environment groups, which has been hammered home
> > a lot further
> > since then.
> >
> > And so on and on. Caveat emptor.
> >
> > Anway, you talk here about Kerry and Kenneth Lay,
> > Enron, the Heinz
> > Center, the UN Foundation, and end up with this:
> >
> > >** The bottom line is that there is ample evidence
> > of
> > >the cozy relationship between the major
> > environmental
> > >groups such as Greenpeace et al, and the major oil
> > >companies.
> >
> > But you didn't say anything about Greenpeace. Please
> > provide the
> > ample eveidence you refer to of a cosy relationship
> > between
> > Greenpeace and the major oil companies. If you're
> > going to say you
> > were just generalizing, then stop generalizing and
> > get more specific.
> > Which major environmental groups? (The Heinz Center
> > isn't one.) Which
> > major oil companies? What evidence links them?
> >
> > Also, is this still part of the original thread? Are
> > you still
> > seeking to paint Kert Davies of Greenpeace as the
> > bad guy in the
> > Acusorb exchange?
> >
> > Best
> >
> > Keith
> >

> > >This is just a little mixing of politics with the
> > >topic of strange bed-fellows; (quotes are from the
> > >Washington Times 7/7/03 p6).
> > >
> > >(speaking on Sen. Kerry's attacks on Enron) "All
> > the
> > >more intriguing, given Enron's founder, Kenneth
> > Lay,
> > >has been longtime trustee of the
> > environmental-minded
> > >Heinz Center founded my Br. Kerry's gazillionaire
> > >wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry."
> > >
> > >(speaking of a senior lawyer who bid good-bye to
> > Enron
> > >after many years of service) "The lawyer bid
> > goodbye
> > >to the giant energy company after detecting a
> > 'swcheme
> > >of supporting green groups to scare people into
> > >regulating Enron's competition out of the mix and
> > >[because] it bought the world's largest wind-mill
> > >company and half of the world's largest solar-panel
> > >company ... then embarked on a trek to ensure a
> > >global-warming treaty."
> > >
> > >(a direct quote from a memo from the Heinz Center
> > >Ken Lay) "Ken, we want you to chair the forum.  You
> > >are by far the best candidate.  Simply stated, your
> > >background, expertise and experience make you
> > uniquely
> > >qualified [to run our] global warming
> > [initiative]."
> > >
> > >(a direct quote from a Jan 17,2001 memo to Mr. Ken
> > Lay
> > >from Timothy Wirth (ex Colorado Senator and
> > >Undersecretary of state for global affairs, who

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM