Hello Tom

Nice to hear from you again. I hope you're fully recovered now after
your accident.

>Randall,
>
>I've been producing biodiesel for the past 6 years, until recently. I have a
>scientific peer reviewed paper that shows an almost complete correlation
>between the quality (completeness) of the reaction and the
>viscosity. So, viscosity
>is the best indicator of the quality of the reaction. A cheap ($5.99)
>viscosity tester can be obtained from harbor freight). This is the
>best and most
>indicative test.

A lot of people disagree with that. I presume you're talking of the
paper by De Filippis et al? "Transesterification Processes for
Vegetable Oils: A Simple Control Method for Methyl Ester Content".
You can find it here:
http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/report1.htm

For a start, they weren't using a cheap $5.99 Marsh funnel-type
viscometer but a Hoeppler micro-viscometer, Haake's MicroVisco 2 -
this thing:
http://www.thermo.com/eThermo/CDA/Products/Product_Detail/1,1075,10000
01067494-108-X-108-1000000008451,00.html

Not quite the same thing. And yes, it matters when you're trying to
distinguish the very small differences in viscosity between
glycerides and methyl ester accurately enough to be sure that your
reaction has gone far enough towards completion to fall within the
quality standards: "Total glycerine (free glycerine and unconverted
glycerides combined) - 0.240% by mass, max." (ASTM D-6751).

A funnel viscometer (or a PET bottle and a straw) won't get you near
that, maybe within 5%, not good enough. The "almost" in "almost
complete correlation" is rather critical.

This is what Mark (Girl Mark) said about viscosity tests as a quality
measure: "What this test won't tell you: Again, mono- and
diglycerides foul it up. The viscosity of MG and DG are close enough
to biodiesel that home-scale viscosity measurements can't detect
them, and, again, in unwashed fuel the methanol gives us even more
inaccuracies to worry about. I do not recommend this test unless
you're a fuels lab."

She said much the same thing about the other "quality test" popular
with some people, specific gravity (density).

We say much the same:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#visco
Viscosity testing
"... a useful comparative indicator of biodiesel quality.
Unfortunately, and despite claims to the contrary, that's all it is
-- a comparative indicator: this batch is better than that batch.
Even at the laboratory or industrial level, viscosity testing alone
cannot tell you if the process has gone far enough before reaching
equilibrium -- in other words that there are not unacceptably high
levels of harmful unreacted and partly reacted materials in your
fuel..."

Aleks Kac said this in a message to the Biofuel list: "I've seen bio
with a SG 0.885 g/l (excellent) and have a kinematic viscosity of
10.5 cSt (horrible) but an acceptable cetane number of ~50!"

The De Filippis paper on viscosity testing was discussed at the
Biodiesel list when it was first posted. Here's what Todd Swearingen
said about it:

>Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:36:15 -0400
>Subject: Re: [Biodiesel] Quality testing
>
>If only curves and viscosity worked that way. They might get you
>ballpark,  inside of 5% or a little less, depending upon the
>precision of the person graphing the curve or the number of
>experiments conducted. But a 2-5% uncompleted reaction will still
>leave you with a wash tank, barrel or carboy filled with a mess
>and a "fuel" that wants to strangle an engine on early morning
>starts and spits out higher volumes of white smoke compared to
>completely reacted biodiesel.
>
>They are also referring to more precision equipment than what has
>been relied upon in previous conversations here or at the Maui
>board, which further reduces any shoddiness in margin
>calculations.
>
>Many industrial processes include in-line viscometers to let
>operators and technicians know when they are at different levels
>of a given process. This eliminates the need for as many "grab
>samples" as use to be conducted. But they are only relied upon as
>indicators, not absolutes, and almost invariably there are other
>factors that are added to their processes after taking such
>initial measurements which insure that the desired result has
>been reached. These generally include prolonged dwell time and/or
>temp and pressure modifications with a final "grab sample"
>submitted for analysis to "seal the deal" of product integrity.
>
>Todd Swearingen

And about funnel and PET bottle-and-straw viscometers:

"Our resident chemist is more inclined to compare your viscometer
with the "taste, smell and feel method" of determining whether or not
a reaction has gone to completion. A better "shadetree" indicator of
reaction completion for those without GC or LGC - which is almost
everyone who has ever made or will ever make biodiesel - is what
takes place in the wash."

Indeed.

I have to say that viscosity testing doesn't seem to have helped you
much with quality Tom, and just where it would be expected not to
help - glycerin content:

http://archive.nnytech.net/sgroup/biofuels-biz/3152/1/