This is in response to John Olver's statement that the NREL grant currently
in place for CoopPlus should not be used for any development of waste vegetable
oil conversion to biodiesel. I believe Mr. Olver has his data very wrong. He
may be referring to studies that show that ethanol production takes as much as
or more fossil fuel than it replaces. It is a different situation with
biodiesel. The National Biodiesel Board, the University of Iowa, and several
other
groups have studied the "embodied energy" of biodiesel. The current
calculations show that if crops are grown to produce soy oil, and that is
subsequently
made into biodiesel, the energy return on the investment is 3.2 times.

With the proposed yellow grease as a base for biodiesel production, the raw
material is already a waste product, a significant portion of which is diverted
from going to the landfills. The proposed biodiesel refinery would be the
only market to turn the liability for waste generators that costs them an
average
of $700 for current disposal services to a resource proposing to pay them
approximately $200 for this same grease. Although some current uses may be made
for the yellow grease, such as in pet food and cosmetics, the use as a
transportation fuel may be the highest and best use for this region of the
country.

The conversion of yellow grease to biodiesel takes some energy inputs, such
as for collection, cleaning, methanol use, drying, filtering, etc. Most of
these inputs were outlined in the Home Power article of June, 2002. The total
energy inputs per 1000 gallons of fuel output can be converted to an energy
equivalent of approximately 124 gallons of fuel, much of which may not actually
be
fossil based. But even as a fossil fuel input, that yields an 8 fold return on
the production. I believe this is far superior to any other form of liquid
fuel production, i.e., ethanol, gasoline, diesel, etc.

I hope someone here will help Mr. Olver realize that the local production of
biodiesel is a major step forward in terms of environmental quality, energy
self-sufficiency, global impact, national energy policy, public health, balance
of trade, or any other basis for evaluating this project. We in Western
Massachusetts need this fuel, the optimum time for this is now, and we are the
best
qualified local group to do this project. I hope that the government can
change its policies to stop hindering the development of biodiesel. Mr. Olver
could
be a central figure in understanding and assisting this effort if he will
take the time to become fully informed.

Tom Leue

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech: