Hi Chris

hi, keith.

i have my own 'issues' with the big enviro groups.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/projects/environment/index02.html
Environment, Inc.

http://counterpunch.org/donnelly05242005.html
Michael Donnelly:
May 24, 2005
Behind the Green(back) Curtain

http://counterpunch.org/donnelly05102005.html
Michael Donnelly: From Roadless to Clueless
May 10, 2005
From Roadless to Clueless...
The Great Stillborn Eco-Victory

From John Stauber:

"Big environmental organizations, socially responsible investment funds, and other groups perpetuate the myth that if we just write checks to them, they'll heal the environment, reform the corrupt campaign-finance system, protect our freedom of speech, and reign in corporate power. This is a dangerous falsehood, because it implies that we don't have to sweat and struggle to make democracy work. It's so much easier to write a check for twenty-five or fifty dollars than it is to integrate our concerns about critical issues into our daily lives and organize with our neighbors for democracy.

"Many so-called public-interest organizations have become big businesses, multinational nonprofit corporations. The PR industry knows this and exploits it well with the type of co-optation strategies that Duchin recommends. ...

"E. Bruce Harrison, one of the most effective public-relations practitioners in the business, knows that all too well. He's made a lucrative career out of helping polluting companies defeat environmental regulations while simultaneously giving the companies a "green" public image. In the industry, they call him the "Dean of Green." As a longtime opponent of the environmental movement, Harrison has developed some interesting insights into its failures. He says, "The environmental movement is dead. It really died in the last fifteen years, from success." I think he's correct. What he means is that, in the eighties and nineties, environmentalism became a big business, and organizations like the Audubon Society, the Wilderness Society, the National Wildlife Federation, the Environmental Defense Fund, and the Natural Resources Defense Council became competing multi-million-dollar bureaucracies. These organizations, Harrison says, seem much more interested in "the business of greening" than in fighting for fundamental social change. He points out, for instance, that the Environmental Defense Fund (whose executive director makes a quarter of a million dollars a year) sat down and cut a deal with McDonald's that was probably worth hundreds of millions of dollars in publicity to the fast-food giant, because it helped to "greenwash" its public image.

"After years of being hammered by grass-roots environmentalists for everything from deforestation to inhumane farming practices to contributing to a throwaway culture, McDonald's finally relented on something: it did away with its styrofoam clamshell hamburger containers. But before the company did this, it entered into a partnership with the Environmental Defense Fund and gave that group credit for the change. Both sides "won" in the ensuing PR lovefest. McDonald's took one little step in response to grass-roots activists, and the Environmental Defense Fund claimed a major victory.

"Another problem is that big green groups have virtually no accountability to the many thousands of individuals who provide them with money. Meanwhile, the grass-roots environmental groups are starved of the hundreds of millions of dollars that are raised every year by these massive bureaucracies. Over the past two decades, they've turned the environmental movement's grass-roots base of support into little more than a list of donors they hustle for money via direct-mail appeals and telemarketing.

It's getting even worse, because now corporations are directly funding groups like the Audubon Society, the Wilderness Society, and the National Wildlife Federation. Corporate executives now sit on the boards of some of these groups. PR executive Leslie Dach, for instance, of the rabidly anti-environmental Edelman PR firm, is on the Audubon Society's board of directors. Meanwhile, his PR firm has helped lead the "wise use" assault on environmental regulation."...

-- WAR ON TRUTH The Secret Battle for the American Mind An Interview with John Stauber
http://www.whale.to/m/stauber.html

He's right, as usual, but as I said, you can't paint it with such a broad brush, you have to take it case-by-case.

but i have been quite
impressed with one group as i learn more about them. that would be 'the nature
conservancy'.  (although, i should point out there was some sort of unsavory
business a few years back wherein certain members of their board profited in
some way from a particular land set-aside; but i gather they instituted more
rigorous auditing/oversight procedures as a result).

i bring this up because i wondered, have there been any critiques of this
group?

I'm glad you like them. I don't know much about them. There are some snippets in the archives, none of them very good:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg29713.html
[biofuel] Road to ruin

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg50746.html
[biofuels-biz] Blood, Oil, Guns And Bullets

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg30881.html
[biofuel] The Troubled Marriage of Environmentalists and Oil Companies

Best wishes

Keith

-chris b.